how warm is too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGBeer

Reaction score
Is 70-73 too warm for primary or secondary for an APA or IPA?

Thanks
Rank Beginner

It's a little warm, but probably not catastrophic. Still, bringing it down a few degrees will improve your beer. If nothing else, wrap your fermenter in a towel and set it in a waterbath...better yet, point a fan at the towel. That ought to knock it down a few degrees.

I racked a APA to secondary yesterday that spiked up to about 73 overnight one night. I pointed a fan at it, and the temperature came down. The punchline here is that it was, at the point of going into secondary, the best tasting beer I've made. Cool it down a touch, and you'll be fine.

MGBeer said:
Is 70-73 too warm for primary or secondary for an APA or IPA?

Thanks
Rank Beginner

IMHO (and somewhat hinges on the yeast selection), fermenting in that range will generally introduce more esters in the brew and can get you into the fusel production range since your actual temp in the brew is typically higher than your ambient. Not as big a deal for the secondary. I like to ferment most of my ales in the mid-upper 60s.

You wanna make sure it doesnt get much above 73 - once i brewed during a heatwave and fermented at 76+ - let me tell you if you drank 6 or 7 of them beer the next day you would have a headache like you wouldnt believe!

73 should be ok though - I usually try to keep it in the high 60's when i can.

Cheers

Back