90min IPA Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freyguy

Reaction score
This is kinda related to the step mashing thread, but I didn't want to highjack. I'm planning on making the Dogfish 90min IPA clone, because I was luckily able to order all the hops online!! :) The grainbill for a 5gal batch is 16.5lbs Pilsner malt and 1.66lbs Amber malt. The directions call for a step mash by mashing in at 122, then raising the temp to 149 until conversion is complete.

This will be my 5th All Grain, and I'm only using a 10gal cooler for a Mash Tun, so I'm not able to do a step mash. I'd like to try this one as a single infusion mash, but I'm unsure of the temperature. Seems like I should mash at 149, but won't this give me a beer without much sweetness? 90min is a pretty sweet beer to balance out the hops, so should I shoot for something higher? I was thinking somewhere like 154?

Any input is apprecaited. I'm still learning alot about AG. :rockin:

I've been drinking the 90 lately 'cause my FIL gave me two four packs for my b'day a few weeks ago. Great stuff!

I was thinking about clones too, and looked up a bunch of recipes. They all call for at least some Pilsner malt. That seems absurd to me since the bottle clearly says "English Malts". I was thinking it should probably be mostly if not all Maris Otter, but have nothing to base that hunch on.

Also, I am under the impression that the 90 is fairly dry. Maybe it's because the hops are so well balanced. I keep meaning to take a gravity reading of the commercial product as that would help in understanding the unfermentables.

What hops and quantities did you go with? There's not much on that.

The recipe is from BYO. Apparently they changed the recipe, but not the labels on the bottles.

Hops are:
2oz Amarillo
.62oz Simcoe
.53oz Warrior
(All mixed up and added from 90min to 0min)

Dry Hops:
1oz Amarillo
.5oz Simcoe
.5oz Warrior

Boil total of 105mins. Use 1099 Whitbread, fermented at about 71 to get some "fruityness".

I dunno, I get some sweetness out of it, but it is balanced pretty well.

There seems to be a lot of 90 min recipes out there. I just did one that has been in the bottle for 3 weeks now. It called for 16# Pale 2-row and 1# of Munich. I looked all over the place online for the source of the recipe but can't find it. I kept it in my log book but didn't include the source. The hops are the same as listed above except for Glacier instead of Warrior for dry hopping.

DFH uses the following dryhop schedules. Obviously, you'll need to scale it back. :)

730127694503_0_BG-large.jpg

freyguy said:
This is kinda related to the step mashing thread, but I didn't want to highjack. I'm planning on making the Dogfish 90min IPA clone, because I was luckily able to order all the hops online!! :) The grainbill for a 5gal batch is 16.5lbs Pilsner malt and 1.66lbs Amber malt. The directions call for a step mash by mashing in at 122, then raising the temp to 149 until conversion is complete.

This will be my 5th All Grain, and I'm only using a 10gal cooler for a Mash Tun, so I'm not able to do a step mash. I'd like to try this one as a single infusion mash, but I'm unsure of the temperature. Seems like I should mash at 149, but won't this give me a beer without much sweetness? 90min is a pretty sweet beer to balance out the hops, so should I shoot for something higher? I was thinking somewhere like 154?

You could do a single infussion at 145F (about 65C). That is about the point just before Beta beguins to denature. After 90 min both beta and alpha will have had a good crack at the starch, and you will have a nice dry beer. I've done a few dry IPAs with pilsner malt. If you want to be sure of sweetness, just add half a pound of carapils. It can't hurt.

freyguy said:

You're putting about 18 lbs of grain into 5 gallons of beer. Your OG is going to be around 1.100. With that much malt, there is going to be a lot of residual sweetness no matter how you mash. The idea is to actually reduce the amount of maltiness/thickness per pound of green because, added together, it's a heck of a lot.

Basically each pound of grain adds more mouthfeel and maltiness. You're going to have so much of it in that beer, that you need to reduce it... and, even with it reduced, there will be no escaping that it will be malty as heck.

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't think that all that grain would leave residual sweetness. I get what you are saying now though. I was just a bit scared because my recent Amarillo Pale Ale fermented down to 1.010 with S-56, and it's a bit dry. I mashed at 152 with that.

And great pic CatchinZ's!! I'll save the Warriors then and not dry hop with them!

freyguy said:
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't think that all that grain would leave residual sweetness. I get what you are saying now though. I was just a bit scared because my recent Amarillo Pale Ale fermented down to 1.010 with S-56, and it's a bit dry. I mashed at 152 with that.

And great pic CatchinZ's!! I'll save the Warriors then and not dry hop with them!

Was that the Amarillo Pale Ale from the recipe database here? Last summer my buddies and I converted that to a Partial Mash (our first). Came out awesome and finished at 1.012. We were all hot to go AG after that one, which we have duly done.

Anyway, that one's good a bit on the dry side. It definitely had a pronounced "green period" but suddenly it came into its own.

Nah, this one was a local guy's recipe. I'd share it with you, but the computer it is on recently froze and is getting worked on now. :( I sure hope they can save my beersmith files!!! I'm sure the desktop guy is going to love that. :D

Back