Wifey's Spent Grain Bread Recipe:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeasu

Reaction score
Thought you all would like a spent grain bread recipe. My wife found this once I started going all-grain, and always turns out well - doesn't take much grain per loaf. Cut thick, makes GREAT sandwich bread, and is also great with some butter - we both love this bread.

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup water
3T oil or melted butter
3T honey
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flout
1 cup spent grain
2 1/4 t yeast (1 pkg bread yeast)
2 t salt

Mix dry ingredients then add wet. Knead 5-8 min with mixer dough hook until elastic and shiny. Transfer to oiled bowl and cover. Rise until doubled (1 hour). Shape and rise 30-40 minutes more. Bake at 400° for 30-45 min until sounds hollow when tapped or 200° inside.

Enjoy! This has worked out well for spent grains from dark beers and light beers.

That's pretty much what my wife does. She uses a bread machine for the hard work but doesn't let it cook in the machine. She takes it out, kneads it and lets it rise again then in the oven. It's great stuff. Even better toasted the next few mornings for breakfast.

Turned out pretty good. I made four smaller loaves. It's good with butter and jelly. May try to add raisins or something like that next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a machine. Here's my recipe.

1/2 cup warm coconut milk
3 Tbls olive oil
1/4 cup honey
2 cups spent grain
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon yeast
1 Tbls gluten.

Good stuff.

Thought you all would like a spent grain bread recipe. My wife found this once I started going all-grain, and always turns out well - doesn't take much grain per loaf. Cut thick, makes GREAT sandwich bread, and is also great with some butter - we both love this bread.

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup water
3T oil or melted butter
3T honey
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flout
1 cup spent grain
2 1/4 t yeast (1 pkg bread yeast)
2 t salt

Mix dry ingredients then add wet. Knead 5-8 min with mixer dough hook until elastic and shiny. Transfer to oiled bowl and cover. Rise until doubled (1 hour). Shape and rise 30-40 minutes more. Bake at 400° for 30-45 min until sounds hollow when tapped or 200° inside.

Enjoy! This has worked out well for spent grains from dark beers and light beers.

I have some grains that will be "spent" tonight, 50% 2-row, 25% wheat, and 25% rye. I am going to try this recipe tomorrow using some of the spent grains. I don't have any whole-wheat flour though, so it will have to be all AP. I'll post up here and let you know how it goes.

Back