blackberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull

Reaction score
well i went ahead and bottled it on the 7th of august ,couldnt stand it and tried one yesterday the 11th of august. it wasnt carbed yet like i thuoght ,but it was still pretty damn good just like it is ,so ill wait and count the days til me and the home brew can be together ,lmao,but any way it is oh so hard to wait ,but ,it makes it all worth it when its ready ,your beer bud bull.:mug:

How many pounds of blackberries to a gallon did you use? I'm thinkin' 'bout doin' a blueberry wheat the batch after this next, but haven't figured out how much fruit to use.

Allan

Congrats bro that sounds like a really yummy beer. Wanna ship a bottle to New Zealand? :p

howlinowl said:
How many pounds of blackberries to a gallon did you use? I'm thinkin' 'bout doin' a blueberry wheat the batch after this next, but haven't figured out how much fruit to use.

Allan

Allan,

I used 2 pounds of fresh blueberries. I recommend using about 4#s if you are going to use fresh blueberries. I smashed the blueberries in a 2qt stock pot down to a pulp. Heated them to 180*F and continuosly stirred them. It made a nice purple syrup. I cooled it down in an ice bath, put them into the secondary and siphoned the wheat beer onto it. Let it stand for 2 weeks and bottled. I alsp recommend that you try not to syphon the blueberries into the bottle. Those bottles that I have with the blueberries in them are a bit tart from the skins. The color of the brew is almost lavender with brown tones like a mauve. The taste is phenominal - almost like eating blueberry wheat pancakes without the maple syrup.

Hope this helps! good luck!

- WW

Thanks. Is that 2 lbs to a 5 gal. batch? I'll be makin' 10 gallons, so I'm guessin it'd be 4 lbs to 10 if I do it like you did, or 8 lbs to 10 as you recomended.

Allan

Bull,

If you wouldn't mind sharing your recipe, I'd appreciate it. Reason is I have a friend who has a buttload of blackberries that should be ready toward the end of the month, and I am going to brew something with them. It's a toss up between a wheat and a stout, but i'll probably end up doing both.

i used about 3 lbs to a five gallon batch ,and ,well i can taste a very little hint of the blackberries i would recomend adding a poud of the berries to the secondary for a litte more flavor.ised a simple wheat beer recipe .

heres the reciepe.in a nut shell so to speek,6 lbs. wheat malt extract
1/2 lb. wheat malt grain
1/2 lb. six-row pale malt
1/4 lb. cara-pils malt
1 oz. Hallertauer hops (bittering 60 minutes of boil))
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
1 pkg. Safbrew T-58(or Wyeast #3056/#3068 or White Labs Hefeweizen Yeast)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
O.G. - 1.046 -- F. G. - 1.011 insteed of the yeast shown ,use the white labs calfornia liquid yeast it ferments out really clean letting the berry flavor come through without getting in the way ,have fun your beer bud bull

Back