Partial Mash Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCastle

Reaction score
Planning my first partial mash and want to know if this recipe sounds correct for a partial mash and for the porter style. Any suggestions are welcome.

2# 2-Row Pale
1# Munich
8oz Crystal 60
6oz Chocalate
2oz Black Patent
3.3# LME
1.0# DME
1.0oz Kent Goldings 60min
1.0oz Kent Goldings 30min
0.5oz Fuggle Aroma

I plan on using 1.25qt/lb grain for the mash, 155 degrees for 60 minutes. Then 1.5qt/lb for the sparge, 170 degrees for 10 minutes. I think my partial boil volume would then be 2.75 gallons.

Are you using dark extract? Why some dry, and some liquid? Looks pretty good. I have a good recipe at home for a porter PM . I just bottled it and it tastes awesome! Im going to add it to the data base I think

To my inexperienced eye it doesn't look dark enough unless you are using dark extract.

I'm guessing the LME is a single can and the DME is to bring the OG to the desired level. Using a half can of LME is probably a bad idea so it makes sense.
With the ease of storing and measuring DME I will probably use all DME for any future brews requiring extract.
Craig

As a partial mash: looks good

As a porter, it's fine. If the LME is light or very light, you might want to use C120L. I assume you have a 1.5 kg bag of LME and a 1# bag of DME, which is driving the numbers.

I haven't made up my mind about light or dark extract yet, what do you suggest? The reason for the mix of LME and DME is package size and money. At my HBS, LME comes in 3.3lbs and DME comes in 1lb or 3lbs. The 3.3lbs of LME is a couple of bucks cheaper than the 3lbs of DME.

NCastle said:
I haven't made up my mind about light or dark extract yet, what do you suggest? The reason for the mix of LME and DME is package size and money. At my HBS, LME comes in 3.3lbs and DME comes in 1lb or 3lbs. The 3.3lbs of LME is a couple of bucks cheaper than the 3lbs of DME.

There is a reason. I would suggest coughing up the extra couple bucks for the DME. There is much less change of giving your beer off flavors.

Beerrific said:
There is a reason. I would suggest coughing up the extra couple bucks for the DME. There is much less change of giving your beer off flavors.

I agree, my beer flavors improved dramatically when I switched from LME to DME:tank:

So eliminate the LME and go with 4lbs of dark DME. Any other suggestions? Also, I was planning on using Wyeast - London Ale 1028. Is this the most common yeast for Porter? Thanks.

I used english ale WLP002, I think its a similar yeast. I always use DME now also. less messy, easier to save the extra if you have any.

I added my recipe to the database, click on recipes under my name if you want to check it out.

Back