Thoughts on tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my second batch tonight (Bavarian Hefeweizen). The last brew which is fermenting right now I used all spring water. I am considerig giving my tap water a shot. Any pros or cons anyone wants to point out for me? I like the taste of my tap water, but I would probably be lying if I said there was no chlorine in it. I plan on using the boiled water for the boil, but straight tap to top off to 5 gallons. Is there anyone that is 100% against this?

I am wondering the same, but we have a well. We usually put a little sanitizer in a gallon jug and give it a swirl then fill with tap water and top off

I think it depends where you live and what is added to the municipal tap water. I've tried it here in Mpls, and quickly learned that our tap water here has a less than ideal flavor in beer. It's bad out of the tap, hard and loaded with chlorine and chloromine. Not good in beer. I know alot of municipal water in the deep south is softer and might be better for brewing. Try asking around, local brewers/breweries, your LHBS, they may know more about local water. Or write the city/county and ask for a report on the municipal water.

I would definitely use tap water. For my first few batches, I was nervous about my water and cut it with distilled. Now, I use straight tap for almost everything except hoppy beers (I supplement to get my sulfates up).

I was using straight tap for a while. My parents had a double charcoal filter undersink filter that they never used. I hook it up and made a big difference in smell and aftertaste. I would get a cheap water filter of some kind, but it depends on your tap water if it will make much of a diff.

Back