Sanitizer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
is there any sanitizer out there that you can buy in mass bulk for cheap? ive been buying Cbrite and one step? i think is what it is i threw the bag away. but it doesnt seem to last that long.

can you use bleach to sanitize you equipment with? are they any pros/cons to using it?

I dare you to do a search on this subject.

btw....you're not from Georgia or been in the marine corps, have you?

Just a little inside joke to finish off my day. Been debated forever....do yourself a favor and do a search....many varying opinions around here....

loop

Get an 8 oz bottle of Starsan and a spray bottle. I guarantee it'll last you for years unless you brew 24 hours a day.

grnich said:
Get an 8 oz bottle of Starsan and a spray bottle. I guarantee it'll last you for years unless you brew 24 hours a day.

i have had my bottle for about 2 years and still have 5.5 ounces left of the 8
it is great:ban:

rod said:
i have had my bottle for about 2 years and still have 5.5 ounces left of the 8
it is great:ban:
I bought the 32oz about 4 months ago just because the price/quantity ratio was so good. Unless I look really closely I can barely tell I've used any. This stuff is fantastic, I was using Diversol before - good riddance! :D

Bleach works, but don't you have to rinse to avoid off flavours? Then to stay sanitized you need to use boiled or pure water as the rinse.

StarSan is good, especially for bottles. No need to rinse.

grnich said:

that is what i was looking for something that will last forever! is it no rinse?

i did use the search before i posted this and didnt find anything i liked :rockin:

*edit oh sorry no im not from Georgia and ive never been in the corps ;) i am currently in florida and in the Navy though lol pretty close but no cigar !!

do you guys dilute it with water in a spray bottle then just spray everything down? im going to the brew store today and im going to pick some up if they have it.

If you live in farm country, you can get large containers of iodophor super cheap at a farm supply store. (It is widely used in dairy farming applications.) Just read the labels carefully, because there are several similar products--you want just an iodophor saniotzer with no other ingredients.

I use iodophor for a no-rinse sanitizer for everything I brew with. I've barely used any on 3 batches so far. Its pretty nice in that respect, a little goes a long way. So far even though the bottles haven't completely dried, there have been no off flavors from it.

Back