Nitrogen beer gas cornelius keg carbonating question!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, let me give you the basics. I have a 20# co2 tank with which i serve beer through my kegorator that i built using a traditional faucet. I recently swapped out a 5# co2 tank for a 5# beergas tank (75/25). I understand how to carbonate on co2, been doing it for two years. I also know that beers on beer gas should be carbonated to 1.2 volumes of co2. To carbonate 1.2 volumes i need to set the co2 regulator to 3 psi but a cornelius keg needs 10 psi or higher to keep an airtight seal. I dont want to use the beer gas to carb because it is a small tank. I read somewhere that un pressurized fermented beer has 1.2 volumes of co2 . Can i skip the carb on co2 and go to 30psi on beer gas for a few days. Is there a trick to co2 carb to 1.2 volumes of co2 in a corny

I carb with C02 first, then switch to Beer gas for about a week or so set at around 20-30lbs and then serve it through a stout faucet. Yu might want to dial down the psi to serve from a regular faucet.

Yea the main point of the nitrogen is to provide the high pressure to go through the stout faucet, without overcarbing the beer. Soo you're going to need a stout faucet.

You can do 30psi for 24 hours on CO2, then switch to the beergas. It should be about there. I just tried that recently and it worked pretty well. In that 24 hours I start counting from the moment I put the keg of warm beer in the fridge.

You can do 30psi for 24 hours on CO2, then switch to the beergas. It should be about there. I just tried that recently and it worked pretty well. In that 24 hours I start counting from the moment I put the keg of warm beer in the fridge.[/QUOTE]

I have a stout faucet on the keg orator i built. It in on the tower. Bought a shank and put my co2 faucet on the door of the fridge:ban:. Looks great. I have heard of people hooking up co2 to the keg for 1 week at room temp so not too much co2 is absorbed. I like the idea of 30 psi for 24 hours. I may start with this method and tweek it to my system based on the temperature of my fridge and so forth. thanks for the replies guys. Any help appreciated.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but it is relevant to my question.

Would it be incorrect to carb a stout keg (that will be served with beergas) using the 12psi set and forget method? Would I overcarb my beer if I put it on 12psi for a week and then switch it to beergas at 20-30psi?

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but it is relevant to my question.

Would it be incorrect to carb a stout keg (that will be served with beergas) using the 12psi set and forget method? Would I overcarb my beer if I put it on 12psi for a week and then switch it to beergas at 20-30psi?

Yes that would over carb. My kezzer is set to 39* and I do the set and forget at 5-6psi I set the seal with 30psi 1st though.

Great thank you. I am glad I asked. Do you leave it for about a week and then switch to beergas on 30psi, my mixture is 25% CO2, 75% nitrogen.

I carb wot CO2 at about 8 lbs at 45 degrees for at least a week then hook up the beergas set at 30-35 lbs. I get a good pour using this method

Back