Bru'n water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can I easily figure out the "grain type" (for input to "Mash Acidification" worksheet) for each item on the grain bill? I scoured data sheets, searched vendor descriptions and made some guesses but I'm not convinced I'm 100% on.

Is there a specific criteria we can follow to easily determine the correct Grain type? If there were some kind of table of malt characteristics or something that would be a whole lot easier than guessing...

As mentioned above, hovering the cursor over the Grain Type heading on the Mash Acidification page should pop up a comment box that helps explain how malts are typically classified.

The typical quandary in selecting grain type usually centers on Base or Crystal. Fortunately, there isn't a big difference in the acidity vs color for either of those classes of malt. In addition, most recipes don't include more than about 20% crystal malt content and the majority of most grists is base malt.

Remember, that Roast Malts will always have a color rating of greater than 180L. While there are toasty malts that might seem to be roasty, unless their color is over 180L, they have not been pyrolyzed to the degree necessary to move their acidity into the 'Roast' category.

The average chloride content is 74 ppm, not 0. That brings the balance much closer. Be aware that using the averaged values from that summary is not likely to provide a perfect balance. However, I'd say that after correcting the chloride value, the report is good enough for use.

Enjoy!

GENIUS! haha. Thanks for that good sir. Looks like i started filling it in and got fed up before i got to chloride :)

still trying to wrap my head around all of this water business and when i get overwhelmed i sometimes start focusing on the wrong things.

Also,

I realize the averages are not going to be 100% accurate but i intend to use just a little bit of gypsum for an IPA. I am busy getting more detailed info from my water supplier (nice to be able to just do it through FB chat mind you!) so hopefully i will have a better idea about exactly what is going on with my water. going to source that CaCO2 for me

mmm. from just looking at the report, it seemed that my water was quite soft (low in most minerals) but the RA seems to be pretty high. I am assuming that RA can be high in soft water (as it comes from balance of minerals rather than total amounts?)

any suggestions on which profile to aim for with an American style IPA?
Does this look close enough to you? that was for 0.5 grams per liter of Gypsum. would u suggest anything else?

Calcium 140.0(ppm) Magnesium 18.0 (ppm) Sodium 25.0 (ppm) Sulfate300.0 (ppm) Chloride 55.0(ppm) Bicarbonate (ppm) 110.0

Calcium 161.3 (ppm) Magnesium 6.3 (ppm) Sodium 61.0 (ppm) Sulfate 302.1 (ppm) Chloride 74.0 (ppm) Bicarbonate 181.3 (ppm)

Promise to buy the JP water book soon, but it's nice being able to ask specific questions so thanks for all the help and patience!

sorry!

DESIRE WATER:
Calcium 140.0(ppm) Magnesium 18.0 (ppm) Sodium 25.0 (ppm) Sulfate300.0 (ppm) Chloride 55.0(ppm) Bicarbonate (ppm) 110.0

MY WATER AFTER GYPSUM ADDITION:
Calcium 161.3 (ppm) Magnesium 6.3 (ppm) Sodium 61.0 (ppm) Sulfate 302.1 (ppm) Chloride 74.0 (ppm) Bicarbonate 181.3 (ppm)

Sorry to revive and old thread but I noticed on the website it says "The Supporter's Version of Bru'n Water is delivered by email with a minimum donation.". Does anyone know what the minimum donations is?

I still cant find the review tab. I've tried libre office, open office, and excel online. What version of Excel is needed?

I'm just trying to see if I like it. Not sure if donating will help.

Thanks

Review.jpg

The Review Menu is at the top of the page in Excel, but there isn't a similar Review menu in LibreOffice. However, I know the free version works well in LibreOffice and the comments display when you hover the cursor over cells with red marks.

The Review Menu is at the top of the page in Excel, but there isn't a similar Review menu in LibreOffice. However, I know the free version works well in LibreOffice and the comments display when you hover the cursor over cells with red marks.

Thank you Martin,

I get it now...I thought I was missing some other feature. Sorry I'm a little slow.:smack:

I'm sorry for all the questions, but can someone explain what these numbers represent? I'm using all distilled water. Do I need to dilute or can I just start with zeros on the water report.

Thanks again

water.jpg

I agree! The "percent dilution water" must be set to zero. Only water with minerals and alkalinity has the potential to require dilution. Distilled has none of these items present.

Back