Best Deal on DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWeather3

Reaction score
I'm planning to run a series of 2.5 gal test batches to zero in on the flavor I'm looking for. I decided to do this after a couple of batches at full scale 5 gal didn't turn out how I wanted. I know extract would be a big time saver for these testers but I can't seem to find extract in any quanity.12 bucks for 3 lbs just kinda stings a little is ther anywhere that might sell it in bulk? or should I consider doing the testers as all grain to control cost. Thanks

The best deal used to be from MidCountry. You could buy 50 or 55 lbs for a little over $100 delivered, but I heard they weren't selling to homebrewers directly anymore unless you already have an existing account. But, they were by far the best price.

See if your LHBS sells LME in bulk. I buy 33 lb containers of Briess LME for $60. I find it easy to use, just pour it into a glass jug on a scale to get the weight I want. The glass jug can be dipped in the boiling water/wort to get all the LME diluted in the wort.

I have also used the empty containers as 2.5 gallon carboys for some test beers. Just drill a half inch hole in the cap and use a fermenter grommet.

I used to buy the 50lb sacks from Mid Country but a damaged bag during shipping convinced me to ask my LHBS if they could match the shipped price. They did, so now I can pick up a 50lb sack of Briess DME for $113.00.

I also buy 50lbs DME from my LHBS. I usually buy light and then if I need something special I'll buy an individual can. I mostly brew Pale ale, IPA and stouts, and the light works well for that. It works out to $2.3/lb all in w/ tax.

50# DME is a realluy good deal. But its a mess let me tell you - your swmbo will likely get pissed for making the kitchen a stick mess if you transfer it all into airlock seald containers like i did. :mug

Just do it all grain. It will be cheaper and allow you more control in the process.

I know one of you AG preachers would show up here in no time! haha

Anyways, do a search on here for "Bulk DME" and you will find lots of threads with links. The cheapest I found was mentioned in here at North County Malts but they don't sell to homebrewers who aren't existing customers anymore.

Instead of starting a new thread... Any updates on who has the best price for bulk dme? Farmhouse brewing supply seems to be pretty good, but was wondering if anyone else found something cheaper lately.

Have you looked at your LHBS? Most of us are willing to part with a bag of the dry stuff at a good deal. I am not at the store, but I think our bulk price is 2.40 per# of Briess light DME. I sell bags all the time to our distillers.. Never hurts to ask the owner of your LHBS they will work with you to get you in the ball park anyway I'm sure. .

Have you looked at your LHBS? Most of us are willing to part with a bag of the dry stuff at a good deal. I am not at the store, but I think our bulk price is 2.40 per# of Briess light DME. I sell bags all the time to our distillers.. Never hurts to ask the owner of your LHBS they will work with you to get you in the ball park anyway I'm sure. .

+1, I went to my LHBS and asked if they could match (with shipping) what I was getting my 50lb bags for. I pay $2.40/lb ($120.00/bag) from the LHBS which is just under what I was paying from NCM with shipping. It never hurts to ask!

Back