Old English Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
OK, you can rip on me or you can provide an answer.

My friends and I *LOVE* malt liquor. I love me some Old English. Has anyone ever made a good OE800 clone? I would love to make some for poker night. It can't be too hard, it's just malt liquor. I'm assuming that's just a lot of malt, no grains (extract brewer here) and cheap hops.

Also, has anyone ever used 40oz bottles for brewing? How do the twist offs rate for re-use?

ever made a good OE800 clone?

That's what they call an oxymoron. :D

Here's a good read for the lover of the 40 dawg: http://home.earthlink.net/~ggghostie/maltliquor.html

I'd start with a basic cream ale recipe, then up the alcohol using sugar. The biggest difference is that malt liquors are lagered, so you'd need a different yeast and fermenting routine.

Sounds like a lot of work for a crappy beer, IMO.

Sam75 said:
Sounds like a lot of work for a crappy beer, IMO.

Unless your name is Sam Calagione: http://www.dogfish.com/beer/limitededitionbeers.cfm

Liquor de Malt

A 40-ounce, bottle-conditioned malt liquor brewed with Apache Red (red), Hickory King (white), and Taos Blue (blue) corns. The "All-American" malt liquor is packaged with a hand-stamped, Dogfish Head brown paper bag.
(limited availability)
Next Release date: June, 2005
Bottled in 40 ounce bottles
7% ABV
approx. 231 calories and 24 carbs per 12 ounce serving

I've made myself a zombie drinking Malt Liquor... never found out how to make a clone though.

sorry about that.
fish

Cheesefood- I bottle in 40's. That way, there's some for me, and some for my homies. I use the Miller bottles. I twist them as tight as I can after filling, then check them in a couple of days. Once, while checking the new batch, I heard a hissing. One of the bottles wasn't sealed. Twisted the cap a little more and it was fine. 40's are great for when you only want one . You can also honestly tell the nice officer that you only had a couple. He'll wonder why you can't stand up.
You're lucky to have friends to help you empty the bottles. I have to force myself through the Miller and remind myself that it's for the bottle !
Why in the Hell would you want an OE clone anyway? Everyone knows that Mickey's is the only malt liquor anybody should worry about. :D

kneemoe said:
... don't ya mean Colt 45? :D

Yep, my mistake. SML had the bull crashing through the proverbial china shop window.

sudsmonkey said:
... Everyone knows that Mickey's is the only malt liquor anybody should worry about.

Yeah! OMG! Back in the day at Illinois State it was lots of BIG MOUTHS, a few Gondola sandwiches or maybe a pizza from Avanti's, and Cheap Trick blasting on the stereo!

El Pistolero said:
Hey, fergit ISU, and fergit Avanti's. :mad: It's Urbana-Champaign, the Fighting Illini, and Papa Del's all the way, baby! :D

The Fighting Ill-LAME-ni?! The concrete campus? Gawd, puleeze... :eek: Northwestern has a better chance of going to the Rose Bowl again! :D

I've seen you mention Papa Del's and I've never heard of it. Gonna hafta check it out. I always thought Garcia's was the pizza of the Illameni.

There's New York style pizza, there's Chicago style pizza, and there's Papa Del's, which is totally unique...kind of like Chicago style on steroids. Tell me you wouldn't die for a slice of this:

papadels.jpg

That does look good. It looks like one piece is all a person could take! I'm gonna check them out next time I'm in Chambana!

Rhoobarb said:
It looks like one piece is all a person could take!
Back in the poor grad student days, that one piece was pretty much all I ate for a day...that and 4 pots of coffee. :D

Back