Barleywine ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemwazup

Reaction score
Do you guys think 8 months of aging a Barleywine is a good length of time before I start drinking it?
I know waiting longer is better, I just don't know if 8 months is long enough.

I'm sitting here with basically the same question but with a 12% brew. I tasted a sample and it's already awesome and now it's on oak cubes for three to five months. So will I be able to enjoy this for Christmas or next summer?

For the most part barley wine is essentially done 6 months after brew day. Sure its fun to save some bottles for a couple years and sample it. Even a barley wine will eventually be hurt by extended aging. If you have a very hoppy low (relatively ie. 8-9ABV) alcohol barley wine it won't age as well as a moderately hopped high alcohol one. The hops are going to be the biggest change in extended aging, losing their flavor and aroma first. The higher alcohol beer will age more gracefully. If I were you I'd save a 12-pack for extended aging and drink the rest whenever you feel it is ready, If it tastes great to you...it's done.

I buy some Sierra Nevada Bigfoot every year. Still have some 2008 bottles, you'd be amazed at how well it holds up.

I have one at 10.25% and it's awesome after 8 weeks brewed. Massive hop character. I'm not a fan of real sweet BW. They need to be balanced with lots of hops for me to enjoy. Yea it's a little warm but I don't mind it in a big beer.

Do you guys think 8 months of aging a Barleywine is a good length of time before I start drinking it?
I know waiting longer is better, I just don't know if 8 months is long enough.

Unless you send one of us some of it to taste, you're the only one who knows. Taste it and decide for yourself.

Denny, I'll be sure to give you a couple bottles on Monday night at the C.B.S. club meeting, and get your advise ( Good or Bad)
This is the recipe I'll be using. If you guys want to give me a second pair of eyes, let me know what you think.
stevemwazup.

22.5 lbs. Pale Malt U.K.
1. lbs. Crystal 75

2.oz Warrior 17 AA 90 min.
2.5oz EKG 4.75 AA 15 min.
.50oz Centennial 10.5 AA Dry Hop
.50oz Chinook 13. AA Dry Hop
.50oz Simcoe 13. AA Dry Hop

Yeast WLP 007 Dry English Ale (**On to a yeast cake**)

Mash temp 148. for 90 min.
35.25 qt water at 157.2 (step at 148. for 90 min)
12.qt water at 156. (second rinse -- Mash Out for 15 min

On Tuesday the 6th. I'll be brewing up a Scottish 60, using the WLP 700 yeast. (IF IT'S NOT SCOTTISH, IT'S CRAP. old SLN skit, very funny.)

Once that brew get done, I'll brew the BaryleyWine Wort and put it on top of the yeast cake.

Thanks again.

Back