Chest Freezer Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer that I have turned into a keezer, and it has been having issues lately. After it stopped working a few times, I finally figured out there is a knob that spins around kind of like the timing knob on a dishwasher or clothes washing machine, and if I give it a twist the freezer will kick back on. I'm am having to do this every few days now, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas, or has dealt with this before.

HUh?! that would be one screwy way of making a freezer . Maybe the thermostat is what you are talking about and its sticking so when you turn it it makes contact again .

It could be the thermostat. I just know that it is a plastic knob inside the side panel where the pump is. It only twists in one direction and makes a ticking noise. I thought I read online that part of the frost free system might have a timer involved, but I could be confused.

Try finding a wiring diagram to bypass the factory thermostat, you are using an external controller correct?

Yes I have a Ranco on it, and never had any problems for a year, so I am wondering what is going on now.

Is it actually a timer?

If it is a chest freezer there would be no defrost timer. I know of no freezer thermostat that ever turned all the way around. It could be a split know though. Bottom line, if you are using an outside control, jump the two wired together and bypass it completely.

I'll try and post a picture of it today after work so you can see what I'm talking about. And hopefully someone can tell me which wires to connect. I assume just connect all the wires going in and out with the same color?

I know this is delayed. but here is what the inside of the freezer looks like. I have to twist the knob in the picture to get it started again. And it has a full wiring harness(?) so how would I bypass that, or get it to work all the time?

freeze.jpg

Don't know. My thermostat had two wires that carried power (black and yellow) and a ground wire (green). I wirenutted the black and yellow to bypass the thermostat. I suspect you might do the same with the wires I see at the top right of your photo.

No idea what the molex connector goes to in the middle.

That is a defrost timer. It should be wired like this. Neutral is on the 'spaced' leg. Next you have compressor common heater

If you disconnect/cut the wire on bottom it should stop the timer motor from running and it won't stick in defrost anymore. Check the wiring diagram, but that is what I see from the picture.

Back