Dry Hopping?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stitchlips

Reaction score
I just got my third kit and it came with some whole hops not pellet. It states two ways to use these hops. One way is the last few minutes of the boil. That's what I did for my second kit. The other is adding to the secondary for dry hopping.

What are the advantages of adding them to the secondary and do you just put them in or do you put them in a muslin bag? Either way what about sanitization issues with the hops or the bag?

dry hopping usually gives you a very strong aroma, and no aroma will be boiled off. thats all i can really give. you can just put them in the secondary, no need for a bag.... no sanitation issues.

when transfering you might want to try to wrap your siphon in some kind of a filter (cheese cloth, paint strainer, etc) so you dont clog it with the whole hops... also whole hops soak up quite a bit of wort but what can ya do.

What kind of kit is it (style wise)? I'm guessing they gave that to you as an aroma hops and not the only hops (unless you have a hopped extract). Try it dry hopping, it will be different than adding it at the end of the boil (aroma wise). You may like it.

If this is your third kit then I would reccomend just using them as an aroma hop in the last 5 minutes unless the kit is a very hoopy pale or IPA. You'll still have plenty of aroma and you wont have sanitation issues to worry about.

Back