How do I get beer in a "regular" keg ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illnastyimpreza

Reaction score
ok so there is a 1/4 keg for sale locally wickid cheap. Even though its too big to fit in my kegerator, I was thinking I could naturally carbonate a batch inside it. and bring it to parties and such (it comes with a hand pump)?? whata u guys think ?

My question is, how the hell do I get beer in there and such ?? it only has ONE opening. I'm used to corny kegs with 2.....

how do you guys use these things ?

would it be worth picking up ?

I have to ask and open this can of worms. If its wickid cheap and comes with a tap are you sure its a legal sale and not someone who never returned a keg for the deposit?

They require a special valve to fill unless you open them up and rack into them.

Since you don't have any way to dispense the beer even if you get it in the 1/4 keg, is it really such a good deal? You'll have to remove the snap ring and the center stem (relieve the pressure first) in order to be able to sanitize and fill the keg and then you'll need to re-assemble the guts when you're done.

Like Sigmund said, a keg is not set up for the connectors you use on a corney. Plumbing for the keg would require buying a real tap, which provides both CO2 in and beer out fittings. Available from many of the homebrew suppliers, but not cheap.

Professionals clean their kegs with steam and caustic chemicals - you can't stick your hand in there with a scrubbie pad to clean it because the hole is too small. Unless you have a steam jenny, I'd stay with the corneys. There's a reason they have become the gold standard for homebrewers, and it is convenience.

as twas said they can be used, yuri_rage has a tutorial on sanke disassembly down to the stem. however i wouldn't naturally carb in it because it would be a pita to clean out sediment. the taps generally run 35-40 at most lhbs

Back