What size CO2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I'm in the process of accumulating items to begin kegging beer. I plan on getting a freezer big enough to hold 4 kegs plus a co2 tank, and am curious what size of a CO2 tank to get. Would a 5 pounder be big enough or should I get the 10 pounder?

If a 10lbs fits, it only costs marginally more to get a 10lbs filled than it costs for a 5LBS. Plus, if you don't plan on using another bigger CO2 tank to condition/carb your kegs before you put them in your keezer, then you should really check to see if a 10 will fit rather than a 5lbs

A 5lbs will last a long time if you only use it for maintenance/dispensing pressure

dp

I pretty much just got what ever I could find. I got a 20 pounder on ebay with a keg for $96 shipped to my door. But yeah ^^^^^^ what he said

Depends, do you want it to sit on the compressor hump? in that case you probably need to go with a 5 lb tank. A 20 lb. tank will fit in about the same area as a cornie keg's foot print and is about the same height. I'm guessing a 10 lb will not fit on the hump height wise but I could be wrong as I've only dealt with 2.5, 5, 15 & 20 lb tanks so...................

A 20 lb tank is also about the same cost to fill as a 5 lb tank around me and considering what gasoline costs nowadays those 3 additional trips to the tank swap shop is not an insignifigant consideration. Not counting the time those extra trips take

Go with the biggest one you can get and will fit IMO. Like some have said. A 20 lbs tank does not cost that much more to fill then a 5 lbs tank.

LOO. My tank is bigger than yours...

I would have got a 5 lb for my setup but got a free 20lb tank so I had that tested and filled. I think I paid $50 total for the test and fill. IIRC there is a local place that does filling for like $15. Would have to check my notes though.

no - Outside you have to drill a hole. which is no biggie as long as you don't hit a refrigerant line.

Back