Magic Hat #9 Clone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
Heres the clone i made, just kegged it in time for Labor Day weekend!
Beer_9Clone_2008.jpg

The Real #9 vs. My #9(Mines on the left)
Beer_9Clone_vs_9_2008.jpg

Theres a color difference but the flavor and aroma are identical!

Crystal(40L) .25#
Crystal(90L) .25#

Lt DME 5.5#
wheat DME .5#

Hallertau 1.5oz (60min)
Willamette .25oz (15min)
Cascade .25oz (15min)
Irish moss 1tbsp(15min)

WLP001 California Ale yeast

*Steeped grains 20min @ 155 degrees
*added 3oz apricot flavoring to secondary.

If you add some of your extract later in the boil, you should get a little closer on the color. I would have thought that the proportion of wheat extract would been higher, but if it tastes right, bully on.

*budbo, I'll have to try that next time, i actually found this recipe on here, but my LHBS was out of some of the original stuff in the recipe so i when with what they had.(ie: Hallertau instead of Tetneng, and the crystal were a suggestion by the owner.)

*kappclark, I'm a big fan of VT and pretty much all of their breweries. I'm actually planing on entering this HB contest in Bennington, VT this OCT.

Just a thought, When I do clones I usually check the web sites to see if they list what they actually use, then modify the recipies I find here to match the specs they give. I mention that because I've been considering doing a #9 clone myself, and since 3oz of apricot worked well for you my recipe is now ready to try :)

So after converting the Recipe to AG, I brewed this with Columbus and Cascades
Added some dried apricots to the last 5 min, and used 2 oz of flavoring at kegging, I think I got it nailed in color and taste.

Good to hear! I'm switching to AG real soon(due to some nice x-mas and b-day gifts) Could you post you recipe. I would like to try it once more. Plus the SWMBO loves them wheat beers so that always a plus

So altogether, how many ounces/lbs of dried apricots would I need to add to the secondary?

Could I do it in the secondary?

I tried a very different recipe for this last night and I am amazed at how different the 2 "clone" recipes are. In the Kettle after the cold break, during racking to Primary, I noted the color was pretty spot on.

The Recipe I used was:

9.5lbs Marris Otter
1.75lbs Briess 2 Row American
.25lbs Crystal 60

Mash @ 153* for 60
Sparge @ 178*

90 min boil

Warrior - .25oz @ 60
Tettnang - .60oz @ 30
Cascade - .25oz @ 2

Interesting, the difference between them.

Expect a second fermentation due to the Apricot if you use Puree. I dumped in 3lbs of the Puree and the secondary has started to bubble away. I have no idea when I will be able to bottle this stuff! It may be weeks before the fermentables are all fermented out, again.

Anybody try this with an Oregon Fruit Puree, rather than apricot flavoring?
I'm just wondering how much puree it would need.

This weekend we have plans to try the recipe that has the 3lbs puree. But we are going to try 2 lbs of raspberry instead, little less fruit flavor, and raspberries instead. Sound tasty? How bout adding some honey in there too? I haven't done fruit or honey yet, so maybe I dont want to try them both at the same time...

Mine is in secondary preparing itself for bottling on Thursday. My when racking to secondary was 1.012, a few points higher than expected but oh well.

Crystal 80 at 3%, %97 pale english malt, IBU to 20, columbus for bittering, cascade for aroma, english ale yeast and around 4.7% ABV. Ferment at 68, WLP002 and add apricot flavoring at bottling time.......this is essentially what Magic Hat #9 is.

I just bought a book of clone recipes that has the #9 in it. I'm definately going to try this out.

I just read magic hats site and it said they use Apollo and cascade with an IBU of about 20. I assume the Apollo is at the end for a finishing flavor. I notice none of the recipes here use it. Thinking of brewing it this week end and I'm still debating the hops. Any opinion helps, happy brewing!

Really! Any idea in what amount/ratio between appolo and cascade? They are quite different and I know the final IBU should only be about 20.

Back