Time to switch gears a bit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
My last 4 or 5 batches have all been pretty similar beers, EdWort's Haus Pale (X2), Vail Pale Ale (X2) an Ahtanum IPA. Basically pale ales with lots of Cascade/Centennial hoppiness.

I think it's time to switch gears a bit and do something different, but I don't know what. First off, I don't really care for wheat beers or stouts, so those are pretty much out. I don't want anything with fruit or spice or anything like that in it, either. A porter might be nice, I suppose.

Maybe something German, though, and possibly even lagerish. I don't have a lagering fridge, but my basement is very cool this time of year. My ferments are at about 57 F I suspect that if I were to put my carboy on the floor it would get substantially cooler than that.

I think what I want, though, is more emphasis on malt instead of hops, but still a clean, crisp beer. Maybe even a Kolsch? I haven't made an all grain one of those yet.

Any suggestions?

Whatever I do has to wait a little bit, though, as all my storage space is full. I either need to drink a bunch of beer from my keg, or (gasp) bottle a batch to free up a carboy. I suppose I could buy another keg, though (I've come to detest bottling).

Wow! No stouts? Ouch.

IMHO pale ales and IPA's and Kolsch's and light lagers are certainly different, but not what I would consider "really branching out"

Go with a porter I would say. Look in the recipe forum.

How about a Kolsch? It should ferment well at those temperatures with a good starter. Then use that yeast to make a Baltic Porter, it is usually made with lager yeast but this would work too. This will give you 2 very different beers and save you some $$ on the yeast.

If you really are liking a nice Lager then make a German Helles (Helles Bells) or a Munich Lager. If you have not tried an northern English Brown Ale then that is another option.

If you're looking for a porter I recommend this one:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46844

Thanks, Ohiobrewtus, you just made my day!

I was in Youngstown for the holiday at one of my favorite restaurants there. They told me they had G.L. Christmas Ale on draft which is okay so I ordered, waitress comes back says they're out of it and replaced with the Edmund Fitzgerald...score!

I'll definitely be brewing this one. Thanks!!

There is also California Common which is nice to do in the cooler weather. I would second the Porter or Brown ales as well.

I second the Belgian and California Common recommendation. A nice Belgian Pale or Golden Strong would be a nice change of pace without using too many dark grains. I have a CC that I made a few weeks ago that I just put on tap. It's a nice drinking brew.

Back