sigh, forgot yo aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
So mainframe some wine coolers for the wife. I disolved some sugar in some hoping water and mixes in the sugar. Promptly fell asleep while waiting for it to cool. This morning I simply threw in the yeast (EC-1118) and left. I just realised that I did not shake the living @!?! out of it first.

Worries? Can I do it tonight when i get home? Would it hurt the yeasties to be shaken up once they are awake?

It's not the end of the world,the yeast know what they are doing and will take off.You can do it tonight if you want to.

If this is in full swing you could probably aerate w/o a problem. Yeast will chew up the O2. However it may not be worth the effort.

I've never fermented simple sugar water, so I'm not sure how it reacts. Have you done this before and what was the result? I'm intrigued!

Nope, never done this before.
Bja, those were AutoCorrects from my phone and the app wouldn't let me Edit afterward.

It was 'making some wine coolers' and 'boiling water' not hoping water. Stupid autocorrect

OK, but fermented sugar water probably won't be drinkable. Certainly won't be a wine cooler.

you will want a hydro reading. When making wine or mead there it is ok to aerate down to 1/2 sugar (ie if og for wine/mead was 1.080, then an aeration when adding nutrients even at 1.040 is generally ok)...

If you don't aerate, you might 'stress the yeast' although I'm not sure that will be a problem with a wine cooler as many of hte stressed yeast flavors are fruity...

Back