any good label making programs out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
I imagine that if I web searched it, I'd find a ton, but I am interested in GOOD ones that people here have tried and liked. Thanks!!

ronjer said:
I imagine that if I web searched it, I'd find a ton, but I am interested in GOOD ones that people here have tried and liked. Thanks!!

GOOD ONES, hands down
Illustrator
Photoshop
inDesign

Hi ronjer. I only joined this forum 2night and tried to make a post. I too had question's about labeling. I'm a little computer illiterate and do you think I could find a way to make a post ? Beats me where 2 go , and what to do. Wrote my hello's to everyone and asked 4 help about labeling only to find that I had written it for posting to private msg. Dunno what to do.

After 5 full nights playing around with GIMP, I still cant figure the damn thing out.

I was using Scribus for some page layout work, so I decided to try it for labels. Lo and behold it works very well for the basic layout- circles and squares, text, and fonts and it is much more intuitive. That, combined with a super-basic photo program should be all you need.

Jezza said:
Hi ronjer. I only joined this forum 2night and tried to make a post. I too had question's about labeling. I'm a little computer illiterate and do you think I could find a way to make a post ? Beats me where 2 go , and what to do. Wrote my hello's to everyone and asked 4 help about labeling only to find that I had written it for posting to private msg. Dunno what to do.

Welcome to the forum. To answer your question, just hit the back button once and go to the top of the thread listing and there is a button that says "New Thread" and off you go!!:mug:

Thanks y'all for the replies.

mot said:
GOOD ONES, hands down
Illustrator
Photoshop
inDesign

I agree...although they are way out of the price range for a novice designer. I have never tried GIMP or that other program but looking at some screenshots, they appear to have a lot of the same tools as Illustrator and Photoshop. So I would definitely go with a free program over buying Pro Adobe products since they all will have the same learning curve.

Maybe next week I will download these freebies and give them a test drive then post a tutorial for everyone...geared specifically to creating beer labels ie omitting all the unnecessary tools, etc.

GIMP is one of those programs with an interface that confuses the heck out of some people. People who use Photoshop hate GIMP's interface, and it is very different from some other paint programs. It doesn't bother me, but then again I've been using it since before it hit version 1.0. Photoshop's interface drives me up the wall.

olllllo said:
If you're looking for something REALLY simple:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14770

Now this is nice!! Can actually make some nice looking stuff in about 30 seconds. This is definitely a keeper for the favorites. I've always had trouble making nice stuff out of Photoshop and Gimp myself. Guess I've never sat down to learn it either. Very impatient person I be.

dblvsn said:
Now this is nice!! Can actually make some nice looking stuff in about 30 seconds. This is definitely a keeper for the favorites. I've always had trouble making nice stuff out of Photoshop and Gimp myself. Guess I've never sat down to learn it either. Very impatient person I be.

Try scribus. Once you realize that putting the cursor over a button will reveal the "hot key" to enable the feature, you will be working like a pro within a matter of hours.

It doesn't do the fancy photo stuff of other programs, but you can import the pictures from whatever you're comfortable with and use scribus for the text...

Thanks Ronjer, I'm sure your advice will help me, about to try it. Thanks again for spending your time to answer me. Looking forward to talking more in the future.
I'm only new to forums, and once I find my way around this one , I'm sure it will be a great source of information and friendship.

I am pretty computer savvy myself. I do a lot of network stuff and am a solid works power user but I can't do a thing in Gimp. I am going to try to play with Scribus and see if I have better success.

Wrey said:
I am pretty computer savvy myself. I do a lot of network stuff and am a solid works power user but I can't do a thing in Gimp. I am going to try to play with Scribus and see if I have better success.

Start out with a page size of about 3.75"Hx4.50"W. Once you like what you have, "Save as" jpeg... then copy/paste to Microsoft word and print.

Honestly out of any program out there, Illustrator is best suited for the job. That or Freehand. You can do some nice stuff in Photoshop, but it is really not designed to do they type of vector work needed to be done to make labels. If Illustrator isn't an option GIMP and Scribus are good freeware options like many others have said.

Latest posts

Back