American Wheat Hop Schedule Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have the following grain bill/fermentation/mash schedule coming up this weekend.

11 gallon batch
10 pounds wheat
8 pounds malted barley
2 pounds aromatic
mash at 154
WLP023 (basically dry english ale yeast)
OG 1.055

I am struggling with the hops schedule, as I am looking for very aromatic, flavorfull wheat beer in the 25-30 IBU range. Surely hop burst for the most part. I have 4 hop varieties open in my freezer and I would like to utilize them.

3 oz cascade
6 oz calypso
4 oz nugget
3 oz magnum

Can anybody with more experience with nugget and calypso then myself lend some advice on how to utilize them and blend them with cascade possibly?

I'd remove the aromatic altogether and just got with wheat + 2 row. And I'd skip the aroma/flavor hops. Just got for 25 IBU's.

MC

So this would be more of a subtle wheat beer like bvd or widmer. I stole this grain bill from the gumballhead clones that are out there. I have not had one, but it sounds good.

So this would be more of a subtle wheat beer like bvd or widmer. I stole this grain bill from the gumballhead clones that are out there. I have not had one, but it sounds good.

Right. That's what American wheat's are all about. Personally I much prefer a chewier+more aromatic German style wheat.

MC

...I stole this grain bill from the gumballhead clones that are out there. I have not had one, but it sounds good.

If you're looking for something like Gumballhead, look at Wheat Pale hop schedules. Similar (low) bitterness as American Wheat, but huge hop flavor and aroma from late hop additions.

Start hopping at 30 mins, add at 20 & 10 too, plus a dry hop. I would also keep maybe 1/2lb of Aromatic in that case.

Pick one of your hops to get you to the 25 IBU target and then dry hop with 3 oz of cascade for 7 days.

Back