Need pump to circulate ice water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a swamp cooler? Will be brewing in the garage with no running water. I plan to put the pump at the bottom of a 10 Gal Igloo cooler, half fill with ice, top off with water and pump the ice water through an immersion cooler to cool the hot wort. Tubing will be 5/8" ID.

I use this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/158-gph-miniature-submersible-fountain-pump-68396.html

It feeds my plate chiller. If you brew 10 gallon batches, you will probably need a bigger cooler. I use my 70qt cube (17.5 gallon), and I have to refill it.

When the boil is about finished, I put two bags of ice in the cooler and fill it with water. When the water gets below about a third full, I add another bag and add water as needed.

I too use a recirc pond pump in a bucket for chilling. I use cold tap water until temp is down to 120 or so, then add about 4 trays of ice into the water bucket. At that point I switch to recirculating the cooling water back into the ice water. Works pretty well!

Back