hop flavor/aroma died after "shake" carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
OK so i made a cascade pale ale. Ive made this probably 8 times now and its a pretty regular brew in my house. I had it on gas for about 3 weeks before i poured the first glass. It was almost flat. So i gave it another week and it had just a very small bead of co2 bubbles around the outside of the glass. I havent ever had this happen before, so i decided i would try the shake method to carb the beer. I laid the keg on its side and listened to the co2 until i couldnt hear it going in to the keg anymore. I would then shake it, wake until i couldnt hear co2, repeat. I did this, at 10psi, until i couldnt hear any more co2. I let the beer sit for a couple days, poured a glass and its perfectly carbed, but has no hop flavor what so ever. This is the first time ive had trouble carbing a keg and the first time ive lost hop flavor/aroma this fast. I tested all the seals and the keg is solid. Is the shake method to blame? It seems like there are a lot of people that shake their keg to carb quickly, but ive never read of anyone losing flavor. thoughts?

After 1.5-2months of fermentation/aging/carbing I suspect you're running into the whole "the younger the better" rule for hoppy beers.

After 1.5-2months of fermentation/aging/carbing I suspect you're running into the whole "the younger the better" rule for hoppy beers.

That could be, but I have heard of others saying that hop flavor and aroma disappears after shaking the keg. It could be that pulling the pressure relief valve allows the hops aroma to blow out? I also have heard that head retention is poor later on in beers that have been shaken. I've never done it (well, once but that was a long time ago) and I don't really know the effects but it seems reasonable.

yea i dont think i will be shaking again. im still not sure why it was taking so long to carb itself.

Back