1056 ???washed yeast???????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
Hia, I'm making a starter as we speak using Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

I washed it from a Brown Ale I made, and I'm STILL "UNSURE" what the layers are. OR Where exactly is the yeast in this bottle?

I look real close at it and can see all white, But even closer look I see this maybe 1/8 " layer on top of all the whitish other stuff?

WHERE's THE YEAST LOL

I thought i did a good job this time of washing it without getting much trub?

IS it ALL yeast and no trub? Or is it mostly all Trub and that 1/8" layer the Lil yeasties?

I've read many posts about it and people reply differently about what is the yeast?

OK If i have any yeast in there (I'm guessing the 1/8" layer at the top is what I have. Is that enough/or more that comes in a smack pack?

Replies quickly would really help at this moment !:mug:

DSC03076.jpg

2011-12-12_16-49-21_6.jpg

Thanks BfB Wow I'll say that was Quick, It's all yeast? I should still make a starter to make sure it good ha? You think it's too much for a 5 gal batch?

BTW , I'm orig. from Philly NE Philly, I live at the shore in NJ for the last 30 years

You can see the trub is that slightly darker grey on the bottom. That top 75% is yeast.

Hey Guys, Thanks, Im using the Yeast Calculator and going to make it NOW.

I was just UN Sure if it was all yeast because it was all white.

I'd have to say then, This washing was the best one I did so far.

Thank's again for your quick help!!!

That top photo looks like you have 75-80 mL. of 'thick' solids. If you plug in your future brew gravity and gals. into Mr. Malty calculator then click on 'repitching from slurry' then move the 'yeast concentration' arrow over to 'thick yeast', you can see how many mL. of that thick yeast you need for adequate pitching. Depending on what brew you are making, how many gals, and how old that yeast is, determines how many mL. you need.

Thank You Wolverine, But Wow Mr Malty says I'll need 482 ML of sulrry? Is that right? Og of 1.054 harvest date of 9/15/11, and 5.0 gal batch?

Now I don't have enough

That's because Mr. Malty thinks 90% of your yeast is dead. It calculates 10% viability on that date, which I'd think is a might low. No worries with a starter

Cool, Im dumping the whole thing in the starter and I'm sure it will take off and be fine! Thanks!

Most definitely - Remember, that Mr. Malty calculation for 're-pitching with a slurry' is WITHOUT making a starter. You'd need 482ml of slurry to correctly pitch directly into 5gallons. It'll be more than enough for the starter and a good insurance policy.

Cool, Im dumping the whole thing in the starter and I'm sure it will take off and be fine! Thanks!

I have been reasearching washing yeast and look to do it on my next batch, I am curious what numbers you would plug into mr malty when you go to make your starter? Do you know the viability or is it just an assumed number?

If that makes sense?!

Thanks

Bmock, I am by NO means a yeast expert in no way, Im just trying to learn.

And I am, with the help of others from this board. I'm sorry ,I can't answer your question, but I am very Sure someone else will!

I have been reasearching washing yeast and look to do it on my next batch, I am curious what numbers you would plug into mr malty when you go to make your starter? Do you know the viability or is it just an assumed number?

If that makes sense?!

Thanks

Mr Malty actually calculates viability based on harvest date. I'd say it is very overly cautious however. When you harvest the yeast after racking, you can assume you have nearly 100%, healthy yeast, as it just got done with a good meal. The dates on liquid yeast are 4 months after preparation, so you've got at least that long until you need to worry about viability. People here have easily gotten 6 months or more out of their washed yeast. Get into the habit of making a starter with every batch. It's easy, doesn't take very long, and hey, you're getting a whole bunch of yeast for free, so its a small price to pay.

Back