First brew on new e-HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolshark021

Reaction score
Well today I finally tried out my new e-Herms system. Overall I was very impressed. It held my mash temp perfectly, and I used the heat exchanger as a cooling coil to cool down the wort after boiling. The only problems I have are efficiency (68%), and the false bottom in the keggle is not perfectly flat, allowing leaf hops to get underneath it and plug up the pump during cooling. I am not going to worry about the efficiency until I have a couple other brews to compare them. As far as the false bottom goes I need to find a way to keep it sealed to the bottom of the keggle so no hops can get through it. Any suggestions or comments?

EDIT: I figured out that the false bottom is bent on one side. Jaybird is sending me a new one today.

IMG_0180.jpg

Thanks! I plan on brewing every other weekend for the next couple months so I can get everything set up the way I want. The new false bottom showed up yesterday and it fits perfect (Thanks Jaybird!). I also just bought a grain mill so hopefully that should help my efficiency as well.

Hey poolshark, looks great!

Do you have any more pics of the controller? It looks like you were able to use the spa panel as your controller box? If so, that's awesome! Love the compactness and efficiency of space.

Yea I did use the spa box for my controller. I was on a budget so I didn't want to buy another enclosure. I also used an old outlet and switch for my 120v pump circuit. The connector on the bottom is for a dryer outlet. I used dryer cables to power the elements so they plug right in (one at a time). I am still waiting on a 3 terminal connector for the RTD sensor to show up. When I open the box back up to install it I can take pictures of the inside if you want. Its a bit of a mess inside though.

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

I'd like to get a false bottom for my electric keggle, but I was wondering how to fit it under the element when it's time to put in/take out. Do you have any pictures of yours, and how it fits?

I am curious if you get the time. I love it because that's the exact same spa panel I have. I couldn't have fit all my stuff in there for my build but it's really such a great use of space that I think others would benefit. Congrats!

I'd like to get a false bottom for my electric keggle, but I was wondering how to fit it under the element when it's time to put in/take out. Do you have any pictures of yours, and how it fits?

My keggle is upside down so it uses a bottom center drain. The 12" false bottom fits perfect. My element is 3-4 inches off the bottom of the keg so the false bottom comes in and out very easy.

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

I am working on a very similar system. I am trying to decide the best way to filter hops in the BK. Do you use whole hops? Hop bag/spider?

How do you have your plumbing connected at the bottom of the BK? 2" triclamp?

Any input on the bottom drain? Any thing you would have done differently?

Thanks!

So far I have only used whole hops. I haven't thought about pellet hops yet. I'm not sure how I would do that. The bottom is a 2" triclamp to 1/2 MPT and then a 90 elbow. It sticks out about 2-3 inches past the bottom ring of the keg. That's why I have to have the keg elevated. I like the bottom drain and so far I don't have any problems with it.

Latest posts

Back