Gluten free recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbug440

Reaction score
First, I'm a new brewer. About 10 batches so far,8 of them AG. My aunt is gluten intolerant and gets bummed when she can't enjoy my homebrews with my family and I. She's tried gluten free beers made with sorghum and she thinks they are alright. Truthfully she misses simple beers simple beers like miller or bud light. So I would like to brew her something light in that general ballpark. So here is what I was gonna try:

6 gallon batch:
4 lbs. Flaked corn
3 lbs. Flaked rice
3 lbs. Flaked oats
1 lbs. Rice hulls

Hops- suggestions??? Something to lightly hop. My goal is a light easy drinking lawnmower beer.

Yeast- safale-05

I fly sparge and with the design of my manifold I never get a stuck sparge. But this recipe seems like oatmeal so I added the rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of sugar conversion. So...because I have no base malt do I need to add amalyese to help convert starches to sugars?? Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Well, a whole bunch of things...really.

• Flaked Corn is not necessarily gluten free if you are getting it from a homebrew shop because the scoops that go in barley and wheat are used to scoop it for you too. We have not confirmed that it is GF leaving the factory either, that is unknown.
  • Same for flaked Oats, with a higher liklihood of contamination. Would also recommend malted oats as they can convert themselves (and others). Malted oats are not proven GF either though.
  • Would recommend Brown Rice Syrup over flaked rice. Does not need to be mashed, similar flavor profile, and is definitely GF. Flaked rice might not be (reasons above).
  • You would indeed need enzymes, and amylase is a good start. Since you can only buy alpha amylase, this might leave you with too full bodied of a beer though, not what you are looking for in a lawnmower beer.
  • I use willamette in lawnmower beers. So does Budweiser. Only add at 60min and maybe 0min. No flavor hops. Light aroma hops.
  • This would basically be sticky oatmeal, best use a ton of rice hulls if you go through with it.
  • A very key ingredient of these extremely light beers is lagering. Do you have the capability to ferment lager yeast and to lager?

I've talked to my aunt about the cross contamination issues. She seems to think it might be such small ammount of gluten that it might not effect her. I really wanted to try just grains my first time because of costs of syrups. It's ridiculous at how expensive they are.Thanks for the info DK, I think I'm gonna try this first to see what happens and how it effects her tummy.

4 lbs. Flaked corn
3 lbs. Flaked rice
3 lbs. Flaked oats (my LHBS doesnt have malted oats)
1 lbs. Rice hulls (not sure if this is enough)

.5 oz. Williamete (60)
.5 oz. Williamete (0)

Safale-05 (I do not have lagering capabilities yet)

If this turns out to be a giant failure ill bite the bullet and sub out the grains for syrups.
Again thanks for the info DK

Well, make sure to get some amylase in there, or else nothing will happen in the mash. LOTS of rice hulls too.

Back