glycol-jacketed conical fermenter with self-contained cooling and heating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HodgsonsBrewer

Reaction score
Glycol-jacketed conical fermenter with self-contained cooling and heating! They must be expensive. Are they wroth it? The only real technical help that i see they offer besides being able to move the yeast from the beer with easy is that they give you tight thermal control. I have been thinking about it and reading up on the matter and wondering if it will benefit my current situation.
I currently have a large wooden box with an a/c unit hanging in it and a 100 watt light bulb with a coffee can set on top of it, sort of an easy bake oven rig. I also have a small fan running in it to constantly stir the air and keep things even. The cooling and heating each are controlled with their own thermostat. The air inside the box is very easy to maintain within +/- 2 degree. I'm not sure if this is enough to actually keep the beer inside my 6.5 gal. glass carboy at a proper temp. I was wondering if anyone out there has ran a thermometer into their carboy and read the temp from the beer's point of view and then compared that to the ambient air? I will be looking into purchasing a proper thermometer for this job. I thank you in advance for reading my ramblings and your valued input.

With your set-up I think it is just a matter of fine tuning the details. You can buy a plastic conical and put it inside your box if you want to dump your yeast.

Latest posts

Back