Bottling Bucket Leaks: I have a solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
Ever since I started brewing, I have experienced leakage from the hole in my bottling bucket. The rubber washers that come with the tap don't provide a good enough seal to keep it water tight. I tried adding some food grade lubricant (thanks for the tip from Chris Knight's videos) but it still didn't stop my leak. I devised a solution though, with a $0.78 part from the hardware store. A simple Toe-Touch Rubber Washer, that is used in the drain of your bath tub, will work wonders. I use some food grade lubricant on the toe-touch washer and one rubber washer on the inside of the bottling bucket with the toe touch washer affixed to the spigot on the external side of the bottling bucket. This solved my bottling bucket leakage issue, due to the tapered nature of the toe touch washer.

I have pictures, but can't figure out how to post them here...

Here is a link to the pics in my gallery.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=866

One is the toe touch washer I found for $0.78 that solved my leakage issues.
Another key to the assembly, a food grade lubricant, I use keg lube.
Thread tape helps keep everything sealed up nicely.

Assembled with the tapered side of the washer going toward the bucket with a little keg lube on the bucket side keeps it from leaking.

And the final piece of the puzzle is this angled fitting that threads onto the tap so I don't have to tilt the bucket to get all my brew into the bottles.

Sorry about that, check my gallery under my profile. I can't seem to get the pictures to post correctly.

You are using the wrong links

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/866/medium/Toe_touch_Replacement_Gasket1.jpg

Toe_touch_Replacement_Gasket1.jpg

Thanks for the tip Kammee! I'm having that Issue with my third batch.

JGB, I've found that the toe touch washer plus some food grade lubricant used for kegs should fix your drips. It worked for me.

This was driving me nuts yesterday when I was bottling. It makes a ridiculous mess. A couple of your pictures aren't working. Are you putting that washer on the inside of the bucket up against the nut? Or on the outside? Still with the other two original washers in the same place or in place of them?

Thanks!

I put it on the inside of the bucket and still use the existing washers. I haven't had an issue since I installed it.

Sorry about the pics. Ya, you just use some of the keg lube and rub it on the toe touch replacement washer, then put it on the outside of the bucket with the cone shaped part sticking out towards the spiggot. Then on the inside, just lube up one of the standard rubber washers that comes with your spiggot.

I don't think the washer needs to be food grade as its on the outside of the bucket.

Back