missed my fg by 4 pts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggbeater59

Reaction score
think it's a big deal? fg is supposed to be 1.012, i'm at 1.016
the beer tastes fine, i'm thinking about just calling it good and kegging it.

i made this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/nut-brown-ag-30187/

hit my og perfectly. fermentation has been pretty slow, but i had a krausen for over a week! i pitched one of *those* satchets of nottingham.

fermentation has been at or around 68*, it's been 3 weeks now.
last night i took the carboy upstairs and put it in the spare bathroom after shaking it up. i'm hoping that a few days in a warmer spot will help.

normally i force carb, but i'm also considering adding priming sugar to a keg in hopes that it'll drop a few points. is this likely to happen? or is half a cup of sugar not going to have a real effect on the beer's gravity...?
either way, i've decided it's quite drinkable, thanks to my initial "quality control" with the hydro sample :)

.004 in not really enough to worry about,

the priming sugar will not do much for you gravity, but it will cause the keg to carb.

On The Brewing Networks "Can You Brew It" show, they routinely miss both starting and finishing gravity points on beers they are trying to clone, and are always shocked to find that a few points makes very little difference. I also have noticed this with my Dead Guy clone, starting almost 10points too high, and ending about 8 points high. You can tell a difference, 10points is a lot, but it's not so out of whack that it doesn't still taste like Dead Guy!

Latest posts

Back