Our Corgi Just Died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamarguy

Reaction score
Our corgi, Rogue, died this morning at the vet's office. She was four years old.

The official cause of death is sepsis with complications from an enlarged heart. She got sepsis from a recent case of Pyometra (recently finished her heat cycle) and, apparently, she’s had an enlarged heart for some time. She started acting weird Friday night, we took her to the vet yesterday morning, and she died this morning. Very sad. :(

My girlfriend was her master, but I loved her just the same. RIP Rogue!

rogue.jpg

rogue2.jpg

Gruesome condition. Sorry to hear of the loss but by reading the link it sounds like the dog is in a better place now.

BTW, the pics aren't working.

Sorry to hear this... our dogs are a big part of our life and I dread the day they are gone.

So sorry to hear that...Im sure she will be missed...Prior to my career as a paramedic I worked for 15yrs as a Certified Vet Tech and I was always sorry for the familes that lost their loved ones due to emergency situations...And Pyo was a common problem...Once again Im sorry and my thoughts go out to you...

Sorry to hear.

I've had pets all my life and they've always been members of the family. I've been there and know it's very difficult.

Best to you and your family.

All, thanks for the kind words. :)

I honestly had not heard of pyometra before yesterday, but I've since learned it is somewhat common in bitches. Live and learn.

I'm currently searching for rescued corgis on petfinder.com as I believe rescued dogs deserve a good home too...Crossing my fingers I'll find a corgi within a couple of hours drive of San Antonio. ;)

Pyometras are an infection in female dogs (bitchs) that are not spayed...You may want to consider that for your next pup when you and your family are ready...

Micah, sorry to hear of your loss.

We have a corgi and she is my best friend around the house. Eager to please. Fiercely loyal. Most personable dog I've ever seen.

A sudden loss like that must certainly leave a void. Here's hoping you find a new friend soon.

Man, i feel for you. One of the hardest things ive done was be with my dads dog when we put him down. I thought I was a strong guy but i cried for 20 minutes in the vets office before i could go out to my dad who was in the car waiting.

:( Very sorry for you and your girlfriend - it's tough enough when you know it's coming. My corgi passed a few years ago - they are lively and fun dogs. Good luck with the rescue search.

I'll raise a glass tonight to honor Rogue. Sorry for your loss.

Good luck with your search, rescue dogs are the best. Also, as was mentioned, consider spaying or neutering. If you go through a rescue organization, they'll most likely do that before you adopt anyway.

At least it was quick. My brother's dog is old, doddering and frail. She can't hardly make it up the steps any more and falls down a lot. She needs to rest, but no one seems to be willing to do it....

Oh god WHY do I keep reading these threads???!?! Excuse me, my allergies seem to be acting up again.....

Always sad when a pet dies, but worse when they are relatively young. I lost one of my greyhounds last year, but he had been sick for 6 months.

I hope you can find another. If the people running the corgi rescue seem over-protective and difficult to deal with, that's normal. Breed-specific rescue groups would rather not place an animal than let someone who isn't perfect have one. (Generalizing from 100% of experiences.)

I completely agree that dogs not planned for breeding should be altered as soon as possible. All of the previous dogs I've owned were altered.

We were actually planning to have her spayed after her last, recent heat cycle. We held out this long because my mother owns a 3 year old male corgi and we've had family members ask for a puppy if/when we decide to breed Rogue. We're a Corgi-loving family. :)

Well, we recently decided against breeding her...So, the next logical step was to have her spayed....Which, had we down it 2 months ago, would have prevented her early death. That's the hardest part to accept - guilt for not being more proactive. :(

I am sorry for you. We had a Golden a few years back who died of the same thing. She was about 8. I'll never forget the period from when I noticed her symptoms, until the vet called to say she was too far gone.

We have her in a tin with puppy paws on it, and her ball and collar next to it.

If you love your dog, get them fixed as soon as possible.

is the other baby in the pics a Jack Russel?

We're honestly not sure what he is...Our vet thinks he might be Boxer mixed with something else. He definitely uses his paws like they're hands. ;)

My girlfriend was walking Rogue one morning and saw a puppy under a neighbors car. So, she knocked on their door thinking their puppy had gotten loose. Turns out, somebody dumped it in our neighborhood. We put up signs with his picture for a couple of weeks and no one claimed him. He's a very relaxed, docile dog so we decided to give him a shot in the household.

He worked out well...Rogue and he (Porter) played very well together and didn't fight over toys or food. They were great companions. Now, I guess, he needs a new companion.

We're still very much grieving, but I've been occupying my spare time filling out corgi rescue applications so I can be notified about available rescued/rehomed corgis in TX. I see a huge hole in our life, so I'm doing my best to "fill" it. :)

This evening, we were put in contact with a couple in Dallas that are looking to rehome their 3yr old corgi - Skittles. If things go well, I plan to take a day trip to Dallas and meet them in person soon...

Here is a picture of Skittles:

TX432.14127264-2-x.jpg

My heart goes out to you two! That Skittles looks like he is smiling at you already good luck on getting him and think about the good times you had with Rogue !

Pat

I'm sorry for your loss. It is a sad thing to loose a loved one so suddenly. Don't beat yourself up about not being proactive, unless you have seen the consequences before you had no reason to know about them. It looks like Rogue was well loved and had a good life, and the time you shared together is what matters most. :)

For the FYI lovers out there - Pyometra is quite a common problem and I highly recommend any ***** who is not used for breeding be spayed before their first heat cycle. Not only does this eliminate almost any chance of developing pyometra, but reduces chances of developing mammary adenocarcinomas to less than 0.5%.

Spaying bitches after their first heat cycle or after they have been bred a couple of times will still virtually eliminate any chance of developing pyometra, but after the third heat cycle you loose any benefit of reducing chances of developing mammary adenocarcinoma.

Sorry man, had to put my black lab Gunner down yesterday, one of the crappiest days of my life. Good luck with Skittles

We're still very much grieving, but I've been occupying my spare time filling out corgi rescue applications so I can be notified about available rescued/rehomed corgis in TX. I see a huge hole in our life, so I'm doing my best to "fill" it. :)

This evening, we were put in contact with a couple in Dallas that are looking to rehome their 3yr old corgi - Skittles. If things go well, I plan to take a day trip to Dallas and meet them in person soon...

Here is a picture of Skittles:

TX432.14127264-2-x.jpg

I just looked up the petfinder link you posted, and it said that he doesn't get along with the other dog. When you go to meet Skittles, bring Porter along and try to meet someplace neutral, like a dog park. If they get along there, they should be ok at your house. Good luck.

BTW, he is smiling for the camera. :)

I just looked up the petfinder link you posted, and it said that he doesn't get along with the other dog. When you go to meet Skittles, bring Porter along and try to meet someplace neutral, like a dog park. If they get along there, they should be ok at your house. Good luck.

BTW, he is smiling for the camera. :)

Ha, ya, that's what I love about corgis...They like to "smile" when they're happy. :)

Thanks for the meeting advice. The lady that runs the North Texas Corgi Rescue program in Dallas picked up Skittles for me yesterday. She has several corgis herself and offered to evaluate his health and disposition for me. She's taking him on a two mile walk today with her other dogs to see how he "hangs". The original owner described him as a "couch potato" which doesn't sound like a corgi at all. :eek:

Well, after much searching, we've decided to adopt a 1yr old female corgi from a corgi rescue organization in Oklahoma. Here are some pictures of our little girl:

Polly1.jpg

Polly2.jpg

Polly3.jpg

She comes with a catch - a grade 4 heart murmur....Which means she was born with a congenital heart defect. My girlfriend and I discussed it and decided we'd like to give her a chance at good home despite the likelihood her life will be shorter than most.

We plan to have her heart murmur diagnosed in depth. That includes an ultrasound, EKG, and possible echocardiogram to determine the exact cause of the murmur. Surgery may be an option, but not without assistance since it will likely cost $2K - $3K. We're looking into charitable programs right now for possible assistance.

We're picking her up in Dallas this weekend....Can't wait to meet our little girl! :)

Oh, that's awesome news! She's beautiful. And kudos to you for giving a rescue dog a loving home. We'll all be crossing our fingers that this heart murmur doesn't cause any big financial burdens for you.

Fantastic! My girlfriend and I have two Jack Russels and we got the second one together. We always talk about what would happen to one if the other was gone and it just makes us cringe. I commend you for having the disposition to adopt rather quickly as it is the best way to remember your prior dog and keep the family life stable for everyone (puppy included).

Oh, that's awesome news! She's beautiful. And kudos to you for giving a rescue dog a loving home. We'll all be crossing our fingers that this heart murmur doesn't cause any big financial burdens for you.

Ha...Thanks, ya, she's a cutie. Especially with the slightly-longer-than-average corgi tail. :eek:

As of now, she's asymptomatic - runs with the best of them. But, that could could change very quickly which is why we're planning to have the murmur diagnosed so at least we'll know what we're dealing with. A low sodium diet and blood pressure medication may be sufficient...Or, it may not be.

I commend you for having the disposition to adopt rather quickly as it is the best way to remember your prior dog and keep the family life stable for everyone (puppy included).

I absolutely agree. Initially, my girlfriend thought it was too soon. But, after we discussed it and I think she saw the "hole" in our family, she accepted the idea. Besides, I told her she's responsible for the naming the new dog. ;)

Right now, I'm hoping we name her after a Braveheart character...Perhaps, Princess Isabelle. Too cheesy? :D

About Rogue, we're putting together a photo scrap book of our favorite times (with commentary) as a way to remember her. We're going to attach her collar to the front cover. By far, her most impressive characteristic was her tenacity - she always gave it 120% (e.g., playing ball, herding deer, etc.). She will be missed...

Back