BIAB Kettle Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
So I have been looking at upgrading my brew kettle (16 quart), to something maybe around 60 quarts. What size kettle do you all recommend if I plan on doing BIAB and eventually all grain with a mash tun? Looking to do 5 and 10 gallon batches, full boils.

I aim for 5.5 gallons in the fermenter and do full boils. For heavy beers, my 10 gallon kettle is pushing it - I have a little headroom but not much while mashing, no problems with the boil. I am building an electic BIAB setup and went with a 62 Qt Bayou Classic model so I won't need to worry. If I wanted 10 gallon batches and ever planned to do that much of a heavy beer, I'd go for 80 quarts, minimum if I planned full boils.

I got a 9 gallon and wish I would have gotten a larger one but $$$$ is tight. I've done almost 16lbs BIAB and would like to do 20 lbs. I likely could cheat a bit and make it work with a little sparging but if you have the money, go as big as you can.
While I don't ever plan on doing 10 gallon batches, it would be nice to know I can if I wanted to. MarkD's suggestion is right on.

80qt. for full volume BIAB (10g. batches) and big beers. I'm considering it myself. They can be had for as cheap as ~$75 shipped.

I've read recommendations for BIAB that one should double the size of the pot based on your final volume (e.g. 20 gallon pot for 10 gallons of beer). I never thought I would do 10 gallon batches, so I did not adhere to this rule, but I was still able to make it work. I can do full volume boils for 10 gallon batches in a 15 gallon pot, although I have to be vigilant in watching for boil overs. However, I can only mash with about 11 to 11.25 gallons of water (otherwise the water will overflow, which has happened), squeeze the bag, then pour 170 degree water (after mashing the grains) over the grains until I achieve my preboil volume.

80qt. for full volume BIAB (10g. batches) and big beers. I'm considering it myself. They can be had for as cheap as ~$75 shipped.

I agree. The price difference between 15 and 20 gallon pots isn't much and if you move to 10 gallon batches, the 20 gallon pot IMO for BIAB, is the way to go. I was able to push my 20 gallon to the limit by brewing 10 gallons of a 9.5% beer. It was 40 lbs, a b!%#@ to get out, but worth it in the end.

omg, 1000x yes.. I too got a 9 gallon and wish I would have gotten a bigger one

I got you both beat...8g. kettle. My boils lately have been super tenuous, though I'm all-grain, no BIAB right now...still I was under volume on last batch because I was afraid of boilover. Not foam either, actual wort jumping up an down from my elements. Going to have to start doing one element until volume boils off then fire up the other.

I got you both beat...8g. kettle. My boils lately have been super tenuous, though I'm all-grain, no BIAB right now...still I was under volume on last batch because I was afraid of boilover. Not foam either, actual wort jumping up an down from my elements. Going to have to start doing one element until volume boils off then fire up the other.

Grab some of this, it will help :mug:

Fermcap-S

Give it a try!

I have a 44 qt kettle. I do 5.5-5.75 gal batches so I finish with 5 gallons after fermentation. I did 14lbs of grain and 8.5 gallons of water this weekend on an IPA. It was way too close for comfort.

Back