Plastic Carboy OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
Is it possible to use one of those 5 cal. water bottles that are used for water coolers as your secondary fermenter? Any reason plastic would be a bad idea? Thanks.

Some others will have the details, but plastic tends to be oxygen permeable. I would think that if exposure is limited, there wouldn't be a lot of impact. But what would be too long? No idea.

The Better Bottle is the way to go. The water bottles are for water and are not worried about oxidation. I'd go with a bucket before a water bottle.

Plastic in general depends. A regular office water bottle is not recommended due to oxygen issues, etc... However Better Bottles are specifically designed for homebrewing, I personally love the things, but purists lean toward glass carborys.

I think if you use it as a secondary for 2 weeks or so for each batch it will be fine. If you plan to age your beer in it for longer then the oxygen getting though the plastic will affect the flavour.

Well it could take 6 weeks to affect the flavour or it could take a year, I don't really know, but I rekon 2 weeks will surely be fine.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a water cooler at home and a bunch of plastic sitting around. But, I will get my hands on a glass carboy and go with that. Thanks.

This is a common question for newbs.

You can use plastic bottles w/o problems if its PET.

The marking is a triangle with a 1 in the center. Designated with PETE or PET marking nearby.

I use them all of the time. In fact I have 4 (3 gal). All have been bought at Lowes @ 4.99 each w/ water. See the link for a visual of the symbol

http://www.earthodyssey.com/symbols.html

Latest posts

Back