Should I shield my cider from yeast as with beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverAnalyst

Reaction score
Should I cover my cider with a blanket? Also, how much of a percentage could one go up to comfortably with apple juice, sugar, and cider yeast?

It depends on the yeast. I don't know what cider yeast is like.

Wine yeast can go 12-15%ABV without breathing hard.

Beer yeast can go at least 7 or 8% (maybe twice that much or more).

Cider yeast probably falls somewhere between there.

Cider yeasts are more like wine yeasts than beer yeasts. Typically, they can handle 10-12%.

Unless you have a very clean blanket, you'd be better off with a lid or plastic bag.

Oh no the bins are entirely closed, except for airlock. Just thought of using the blankets for blocking the light. But now I know I don't have to. Thanks.

Wow- I've always covered my carboys to keep them from getting light struck. Wines, particularly white wines, should be protected from light, too. They won't "skunk" like beer (due to the hops oils) but will change color. I store wine in the basement in the dark, and I keep the carboys away from light, too.

Ok, I'm goin to wrap the blanket around them again. My cider and apfelwein are both in translucent 1 gallon containers.

Back