First Batch Is In The Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
My home brew kit came yesterday (Saturday) I ordered the kit from Perfect Brewing Supply out of Chicago, I live 5 hours from there and it took 4 days so pretty much standard delivery time. Any way my first brew is a Red Ale kit, the brew went pretty good and its setting in a nice cool dark area of the basement burping away. My original plan was to ferment then go right to the bottles, I'm sure this would work well but after reading about second fermentaions on this forum, I went ahead and ordered a glass carboy and got an auto siphon as well. For now I'm sticking with the bucket for fermenting but I am going to add a second carboy and brew up some mead in it.

Waldo said:
My home brew kit came yesterday (Saturday) I ordered the kit from Perfect Brewing Supply out of Chicago, I live 5 hours from there and it took 4 days so pretty much standard delivery time. Any way my first brew is a Red Ale kit, the brew went pretty good and its setting in a nice cool dark area of the basement burping away. My original plan was to ferment then go right to the bottles, I'm sure this would work well but after reading about second fermentaions on this forum, I went ahead and ordered a glass carboy and got an auto siphon as well. For now I'm sticking with the bucket for fermenting but I am going to add a second carboy and brew up some mead in it.

Excellent. My experience with box-kits is that secondary is almost mandatory if you want a decent tasting beer. Google "Beer Kit Tang" for more explanation. I'm pretty new to this hobby too. Five batches made and the results have been unacceptable so far, but the two I have in buckets right now should end up excellent.

Sounds like you have caught the homebrew fever! wait until you try your first brew- you'll have 2 primarys and 2 carboys in no time :D

JillC25 said:
Sounds like you have caught the homebrew fever! wait until you try your first brew- you'll have 2 primarys and 2 carboys in no time :D
Have you been looking at my growing collection? lol. I now have two primarys and two carboys with another carboy on the way. This one a 6.5 gallon one because I want to make a fruit beer. :rolleyes:
Careful, this'll quickly turn from hobby to obsession. :D

I think most hobby's become obsessions, its just that most cost more than this hobby. I fly radio controled helicopters as well, they cost around $2000 just to get started, one crash can cost $200 that would buy a lot of brewing equipment, on a good week of flying you can spend $40 on fuel :confused: I don't fly very much anymore. Astronomy is another of my hobby's, just spent $900 on a new telescope, once again would have been one heck of a brew setup.
Home Brewing may even save me money, a 6 pack of good beer around here cost $8 I figure I can brew it for around $4 or $5 a six.

My first batch is on day 3 and still burping along and the smells coming out of the fermentation lock are wonderful.

Back