how to get a higher SRM color without messing with flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
noticed my last ipa was pretty light in color (about 5 SRM). im not big on adding too much crystal malt to my beers (like ipa's) cause i feel it gives too much sweetness. i usually add about 1/2lb of c-15, a little wheat, and the rest 2-row. anyway to get my color up with out hurting the original flavor? i guess i could add a pinch of black patent, but id feel kinda wierd doing that to an ipa. any suggestions?

the easiest solution would be to use a darker crystal instead of the c-15. Barring that, you could always add a few ounces of debittered carafe malt. It shouldn't add any roastiness in small amounts and will definitely add several SRM to the beer. If you don't feel comfortable with that, you could add sinamar. It's used to darken beer without adding any flavor.

De-bittered black malt or Dehusked Carafa III will both add color with very little impact on flavor. A half ounce would be plenty. Or you could steep some and use the fluid to color as desired.

I don't use crystal in many of my IPAs, but I have used 3% of biscuit malt. I happen to like a 5 SRM IPA, though.

You could take the 5 SRM IPA and add one ounce of carafa III to get an SRM of 9.

Latest posts

Back