lacking body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicebag

Reaction score
My first batch of wine turned out ok. My critics say that it's lacking body. The wine was made from concentrated juice, would this be the reason for the lack of body?

Concentrated juice isn't the cause of lack of body but the quality of the concentrate or the degree to which it was concentrated is. What kind of concentrate and how much?

The juice was Old Orchard grape flavor and the quanity was 6 6fl oz cans. I made a 2 gallon recipe. Only added champagne yeast and yeast nutrient.

Fruit juices and concentrates can make good wine but a little tweaking may required. You should use some acid blend and perhaps a little tannin as well. Raisins also add a bit to your wine. Find a successful recipe that others have used and work from that. I believe Yooper has a Welch's grape juice wine recipe in the recipes section.

I think the Old Orchard juices, as is the case with most brands, use 12 oz cans. Is that what you used?

I didn't use any tannin or acid blend due to the lack of knowledge at the time of making. I did use 12 oz cans (typo). This was the first experiment to see if I would be interested in wine making,I'am hooked. I have a apple wine, from apple cider, on fermentation stage right now. I took it from Yooper's recipe and did it exactly to the recipe..today it will go to the secondary.:ban:

I have topped off (by accident the first time) with the juice concentrate with out diluting it and while the wine is still a bit "hot" the flavor and body was much better, and it took another 6 weeks of mild fermenting-- I think that the extra aging will be worth it.
My favorite of the old orchard concentrates is the apple raspberry, and I might start another with the apple cherry, and I start off with three cans (12oz) per gallon and then dilute them with apple juice.
Using the juices and concentrates for one gallon trial batches are giving me the confidence to work my way up to the fruits from the back yard this coming summer.

I just racked my first wine from the secondary today. It still had a little sediment on bottom. I tried it again , starting to taste a little better. I will take your advice and let the gallon sit for 4-6 weeks. I did the same thing you did emerald. I have another apple wine recipe from yooper that just got into the secondary today. I also had to add juice to it with out dilluting it, should be good when done, the reading I got was 1.090 to start and 8 days later into secondary and it was .994.

Back