Has anyone actually cured toe nail fungus with Star-San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolly McStanson

Reaction score
In order to cure toe nail fungus you have to take medication and sometimes that doesn't even work. Well I have have the fungus and I dont ware flip flops any more because my toe nails look disgusting.

Iv heard that Star-San cures the fungus.

If I have to soak my feet every night in Star-San I will if I know it will cure it. Has anyone tried it or had any luck?

5 minute soak everyday for 2 weeks

Can't hurt. Well, I guess it could, you should stop if it hurts.

I doubt it. I had the thick yellow nail fungus **** and all of these anti FUNGAL topical treatments didnt do jack (you had to kill it from the inside)

Star San is an anti-bacterial (not an anti fungal) so I think the only thing you would accomplish would be wasting perfectly good star san.
-Me

well if nothing else you could mash in with you feet instead of a paddle.:D

Keep us posted I've got fungus as well.:( I have not had success with anything. I know star san seems to dry out my hands a bit more so maybe it will help, I think you'd have to apply it atleast twice daily, and I dont see how it could work once it dries. I also think the dilution might have something to do with. Where did you hear this?

Great topic.

I suggest amputation, that will kill a foot fungus real quick!

Thanks to all for posting. I just threw up in my mouth 8 times.

I use Uric acid to prevent and cure athlete's foot. Daily application each morning in the shower. Maybe it also has the side benefit of preventing the nail fungus since no problem there either.

I heard B-Brite makes your p3nis longer. I've been soaking mine in it for 10 minutes 3 times a day for a month now and nothing yet.....................

Star San is an anti-bacterial (not an anti fungal) so I think the only thing you would accomplish would be wasting perfectly good star san.
-Me

Actually it is also anti-fungal...

per star san's website: Broad Spectrum Bactericide and Fungicide

Remember yeast is a fungus.

I have heard this works for nail fungus. Seems like a waste of perfectly good beer, but maybe you could use a batch that didn't turn out so well. Another reason not to throw out a potentially bad batch. This could be a whole new cottage industry. Tea oil is supposed to be another home remedy.

Toenail Fungus Treatment Using the Acidophilus Beer Soak

My Rx: Drink some good stuff, soak in the BCB stuff, watch the game, have the SWMBO refill your glass.

I use Uric acid to prevent and cure athlete's foot. Daily application each morning in the shower. Maybe it also has the side benefit of preventing the nail fungus since no problem there either.

So your saying you pee on your feet every morning, hey whatever works for you. :rockin:

Well I'm going to give it a whirl any way. I dont like taking medication if dont have too. I want to ware flip flops again someday. My toe nails are ether growing one on top of each other or there yellow and growing three feet thick.

Star-San is an antibacterial anti fungus so I'm going to drink some. I'm hoping it will make my beer farts smell better. Over all I wont be as disgusting to the people around me any more....thank you Star-San.

Vinegar is supposed to work too. It will kill just about anything. You can use it as weed killer in pavement cracks., But starsan doesnt smell so it does make it your better choice. What's cool is that you have 10 toes, so you could do an awesome study on 9 toe nail fungus products with the 10th toe as the control group.

Vinegar is supposed to work too. It will kill just about anything. You can use it as weed killer in pavement cracks., But starsan doesnt smell so it does make it your better choice. What's cool is that you have 10 toes, so you could do an awesome study on 9 toe nail fungus products with the 10th toe as the control group.

You could cut them all off and make it a double blind test as well.

Let me know how it goes.

You know as I'm sitting here at the computer on Home Brew Talk. I could be soaking my feet / toe nails in Star-San. Its just that its so cold in my house. Its winter and all and when my feet are cold...im cold. Flip flop season is quite away off anyhow.

Can StarSan fix this?

uglytoes.jpg

1546NailFungus.jpg

Fungal infections of the nail can cause discoloration and abnormal growth

FUNGAL INFECTIONS (ONYCHOMYCOSIS)

When a nail infection develops, the most common cause is a fungus. More frequent on the toenails than on the fingernails, fungal nail infections affect about 12% of all Americans. Onychomycosis tends to run in families because of an inherited tendency, but not everyone is susceptible. It is rare in children unless one or both parents are infected.

The two most common types of fungi affecting the skin are dermatophytes and yeast (Candida). While both types infect nails, dermatophytes tend to be more common in toenails. Yeast infections are seen more frequently in fingernails. While some fungal nail infections may respond to topical antifungal creams, lotions, gels, and lacquers, most infections of the nail plate require oral medicines such as itraconazole, terbinafine, and fluconazole.

Nail Fungus & Nail Health

I doubt it would work. Might be OK for athletes foot though... I tend to get that.

And from the Mayo clinic

Treatments and drugs

Nail fungus can be difficult to treat, and repeated infections are common. Over-the-counter antifungal nail creams and ointments are available, but they aren't very effective.

Oral medications
To treat nail fungus, your doctor may prescribe an oral antifungal medication, such as:

* Itraconazole (Sporanox)
* Fluconazole (Diflucan)
* Terbinafine (Lamisil)

These medications help a new nail grow free of infection, slowly replacing the infected portion of your nail. You typically take these medications for six to 12 weeks but won't see the end result of treatment until the nail grows back completely. It may take four months or longer to eliminate an infection.

Lifestyle and home remedies

Sometimes, because current treatments can take a long time to work and aren't always effective, people turn to home remedies. Two remedies purported to help nail fungus infections are vinegar and Vicks VapoRub.

* Vinegar. While there's no direct evidence that a vinegar soak can cure nail fungus, some studies have shown that it can inhibit the growth of certain bacteria. Experts suggest soaking your feet for 15 to 20 minutes in a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts warm water. You can soak your feet like this daily. But if your skin becomes irritated, try soaking only two to three times a week, or increase the amount of water in the mixture.
* VapoRub. As with vinegar, there have been no controlled clinical trials to assess the effectiveness of Vicks VapoRub on nail fungus, but there have been numerous anecdotal reports that it works. However, there's no consensus on how often to apply this product, so check with your doctor before using this product in a way it wasn't designed to be used.

Ok, first of all this is just kinda gross and weird. The absolute last topic and place I thought I would be talking about this. However, I did have toenail fungus for a few years and was highly embarased. I finally made my mind up to kill it and did. Star-San would definitaley help. It is a broad spectrum antimicrobial. Soak in it a couple times a day or soak a cotton ball in it and wrap a band aid over it on top of toe nail while you sleep. Keep it well trimed, filed, and take your shoes off as much as possible. Change socks mid way through the day and spray lysol or something in your shoes every night. Go to Dr. and get the pills to cure it. You can't have liver probs. though as the medicine is hard on your liver. They say it can take a year or so to kill it, with aggressive treatment my went away in a couple of months.

Latest posts

Back