British Ale yeast in an American Amber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'll be brewing up 10 gallons of my Rock-N-Rye Amber next weekend for Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day. I plan on fermenting half with Nottingham, and the other half with... I dunno.
I'm thinking of using Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast. Has anyone tried that with an amber before? It says it accentuates hops and malt character with a dry finish. That sounds yummy, as this is a well balanced, slightly hoppy amber.
I'm also considering 1272 American Ale II, and 1332 Northwest Ale.
Thoughts? Preferences?

Northwest is one I've wanted to try. You could be my guinea pig! :D

I kid, I kid.

Seriously, since Notty ferments very clean and dry, why not try a lower-attenuating more fruity English strain? S-04? Windsor? Ringwood? I know for a fact that Ringwood is as fruity as South Beach on a Saturday night. You could give that a try.

Cheers!

Bob

Ringwood was on my original list, but I really don't think fruity would work with this brew. I could be wrong, and pleasantly surprised, however.

I used 1098 in an IPA and it was great. I think I'd use it in an amber ale, in fact I think I'll try it next time I brew up my amber.

Back