New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate that looks awesome!!! Well done!
Now the next step.....competitions!!!!!

That's a few light years away lol !! You do use your eyes to eat and drink so if it looks good people might think it tastes a little better ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hahaha im always loathed to make lables that are not square. I have a problem with scissors!

Looks sweet man, be patient. Ah who am I kidding i can never wait past about a week and a half haha

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I almost caved tonight and cracked a bottle but held my nerve !! Looking forward to a sample next weekend !!

I almost caved tonight and cracked a bottle but held my nerve !! Looking forward to a sample next weekend !!

I have 2 little mini swing top bottles, i always fill those up on bottling day. Then i dont feel bad for cracking a bottle as soon as they are carbed (a tiny volume) ...... Or perhaps only half carbed hahaha!

I salute your self control though!

That's a few light years away lol !! You do use your eyes to eat and drink so if it looks good people might think it tastes a little better ;)

My theory exactly! I would say its definitely true as well.......in that it at lest gets people excited to try a beer. And converts them to the idea that a home brewed beer may actualy taste better than what they are used to.

. . . . . . Then they taste my beer......hahahaha. I dont think the labels help much after that!

Mate that looks awesome!!! Well done!
Now the next step.....competitions!!!!!

Are there any low key local comps? I feel that after I get a few more brews under my belt i would like to get some more formal and organised feed back.

Not sure if I want to jump into beervana etc. or travel much for them just yet.

Are there any low key local comps? I feel that after I get a few more brews under my belt i would like to get some more formal and organised feed back.

Not sure if I want to jump into beervana etc. or travel much for them just yet.

I have no idea aye. Could always start one up? Along with a club?

I would be keen for a "club" !! More for an excuse to sample a few different brews and to up skill, if we got our **** sorted we could do some big brews (pull resources etc)

Have some questions for the more experienced brewers :) today I added the hops to my pale ale after 6 days in primary... Instructions say to give it another 5 days, had a sample and it Taste pretty sweet, gravity reading leads me to believe it has a fair way to go... (1024), beer still had lots of muck floating round and hasn't settled as much as previous batches by this point in time... Is this due to using a decent yeast ? Brew has been steady at 18.5 the entire ferm... Also should I cold crash it for a few days once complete ??

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406967758.022007.jpg

Haha why do I get the feeling you have been trying to start a club for a while?

Any one in town with any experience/training judging??

LoL without a lie, I'm keen for one, just too lazy to actually get off my ass. Thinking post Beervana I'll start getting some wheels in motion.

I would be keen for a "club" !! More for an excuse to sample a few different brews and to up skill, if we got our **** sorted we could do some big brews (pull resources etc)

Mmmmmmm barrel aging.....

Have some questions for the more experienced brewers :) today I added the hops to my pale ale after 6 days in primary... Instructions say to give it another 5 days, had a sample and it Taste pretty sweet, gravity reading leads me to believe it has a fair way to go... (1024), beer still had lots of muck floating round and hasn't settled as much as previous batches by this point in time... Is this due to using a decent yeast ? Brew has been steady at 18.5 the entire ferm... Also should I cold crash it for a few days once complete ??

I agree with Pkrd. You'll find it may drop another 10ish points once the hops hit it. Did the recipe say what the FG was supposed to be?

LoL without a lie, I'm keen for one, just too lazy to actually get off my ass. Thinking post Beervana I'll start getting some wheels in motion.

I agree with Pkrd. You'll find it may drop another 10ish points once the hops hit it. Did the recipe say what the FG was supposed to be?

1009 fg, what temp should I get it up to before cold crash ?? And worth whole putting into secondary or just crash in primary !

Ps we should definitely pull resources !! :)

1009 fg, what temp should I get it up to before cold crash ?? And worth whole putting into secondary or just crash in primary !

Ps we should definitely pull resources !! :)

Leave as is for a couple of days. Test it in 2 days time, if its around the 1014 mark, I'd try for 20 for a diacetyl rest for 2 days. Then cold crash in the primary, I've never seen the need for a secondary...

Leave as is for a couple of days. Test it in 2 days time, if its around the 1014 mark, I'd try for 20 for a diacetyl rest for 2 days. Then cold crash in the primary, I've never seen the need for a secondary...

Cheers mate !! All going to plan this brew should be my best yet, first time with proper temp control !!

Thinking of branching out and trying the M J's craft series Night watchman porter (on sale at LHBS) anyone tried this ?

Geeze, got back from a few days away to find I had left the door open on the fermenter fridge. 19C.
So this Beer was pitched at 30, went down to 22 overnight, bubbling like crazy, back up to 26 for a week, then down to under 20 for 4 days... took a sample, tasting great. Will bottle on the weekend. Wonder how well it will turn out. No way will I be able to reproduce that temperature profile.

I think I can justify building a brewpi now. Have most of the bits around anyway.

Geeze, got back from a few days away to find I had left the door open on the fermenter fridge. 19C.
So this Beer was pitched at 30, went down to 22 overnight, bubbling like crazy, back up to 26 for a week, then down to under 20 for 4 days... took a sample, tasting great. Will bottle on the weekend. Wonder how well it will turn out. No way will I be able to reproduce that temperature profile.

I think I can justify building a brewpi now. Have most of the bits around anyway.

My nosey son has done that to me before !! That was part of my justification for turning the fridge in the shed into a chamber ( cost maybe $120) for dual temp control and heating pad.. So far is doing the job for a DIY setup :)

You won't regret the brewpi. It is great! I have used it for a few brews now and it has been very successful in keeping the temp in my beers where it should be.

Yeah sounds good! What session are you hitting beervana? Looks like my only option is friday arvo ( if I can get off work). I havnt been yet so I'm looking forward to it!

Perhaps we should get together after beervana and have a chat about it. I have a friend ( who is just about to open a commercial craft brewery in Hastings) thinking of starting one there. Could pool research and possibly even link up for some stuff.

Yeah sounds good! What session are you hitting beervana? Looks like my only option is friday arvo ( if I can get off work). I havnt been yet so I'm looking forward to it!

Perhaps we should get together after beervana and have a chat about it. I have a friend ( who is just about to open a commercial craft brewery in Hastings) thinking of starting one there. Could pool research and possibly even link up for some stuff.

Friday morning here. Got a brewer from Auckland coming down to pop his Beervana cherry :)

Yeah man, I'd be keen as to catch up and see where we go from there!

Friday morning here. Got a brewer from Auckland coming down to pop his Beervana cherry :)

Yeah man, I'd be keen as to catch up and see where we go from there!

Nice! Il see you there and have no idea it's you hahahaha. My first time too, be gentle beervana! Treat me right haha.

Hi guys, quick question, what's best / most cost effective way to carbonate beer in 750ml bottle ? I was using the carbonation drops but I feel they are an unnecessary expense... I do like a good level of carbonation.. Cheers

You can use dextrose or sucrose with a bottling spoon or bulk additions in a bottling bucket. Transfer from fermenter into bottling bucket leaving trub behind, add sucrose/dextrose based upon volume, then let mix completely and bottle that.

You can use dextrose or sucrose with a bottling spoon or bulk additions in a bottling bucket. Transfer from fermenter into bottling bucket leaving trub behind, add sucrose/dextrose based upon volume, then let mix completely and bottle that.

Yeah, moving to bulk priming changed my life hahHa. Ok so not that amazing. . . . But deff great!

I have been using the drops lately... I had some left over from when i made an APA - only do small batches 9ish litres - and split it into four secondary plastic bottles with different hops. would have required too much messing around to bulk prime.

The main thing with drops is to not drink during botteling, so you dont miss out priming some bottles.

:fro:

Thanks for all the tips guys, so I have more questions, see attached pic's... Fermentation is slow on this brew,, still at 1016 after nearly two weeks.. Has been fermenting at 18.5... When I took this sample all the mucky stuff is coming out also... Never happened before... Should I assume it will settle after cold crash ? Brew smells fine, taste seems ok... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407310792.294219.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407310822.570829.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407310853.421202.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys, so I have more questions, see attached pic's... Fermentation is slow on this brew,, still at 1016 after nearly two weeks.. Has been fermenting at 18.5... When I took this sample all the mucky stuff is coming out also... Never happened before... Should I assume it will settle after cold crash ? Brew smells fine, taste seems ok... View attachment 215935View attachment 215936View attachment 215937

Nice 1016 is not bad.
Raise it up to 21 degrees for a week or so, clear out the cobwebs, its a pilsner right?

Nice 1016 is not bad.

Raise it up to 21 degrees for a week or so, clear out the cobwebs, its a pilsner right?

This one is the mangrove jacks town crier (pale ale) craft series kit... Recommended fg of 1009

This one is the mangrove jacks town crier (pale ale) craft series kit... Recommended fg of 1009

When you say slow, is it still moving? If not do you know how long it's been stuck for? (If you were taking regular samples). I would agree with warming it up. Head up towotrds the upper level for your yeast, some would suggest a slight agitation of the fermenter to get the yeasties mobile again. I sit on the fence on that one tho.

I'm guessing that will clean up fine with a cold crash. Are you planning on finning?

When you say slow, is it still moving? If not do you know how long it's been stuck for? (If you were taking regular samples). I would agree with warming it up. Head up towotrds the upper level for your yeast, some would suggest a slight agitation of the fermenter to get the yeasties mobile again. I sit on the fence on that one tho.

I'm guessing that will clean up fine with a cold crash. Are you planning on finning?

Oh ok, get it up to 21 degrees for diacetyl rest, and give it a rouse as jes says, you might have to rouse a couple of times (morning and night)
1016 is still good. more body and sweetness.

Thanks guys, has dropped from a 1024 reading on the weekend will crank up the temp and then crash it.. Yeast pack says 25 degrees but il get up to 21.. I do have some finings so might chuck them in also...

If you read Jamils and Chris's yeast book they highlight a temperature of 2=3deg higher than fermetnation for the diacetyl. A little higher temperature, give the yeast a big of a shake into solution (some like to flocculate into clumps and drop out earlier than harder than others) and it should help.

If you read Jamils and Chris's yeast book they highlight a temperature of 2=3deg higher than fermetnation for the diacetyl. A little higher temperature, give the yeast a big of a shake into solution (some like to flocculate into clumps and drop out earlier than harder than others) and it should help.

Perfect thanks for that, 21 should be perfect then... Will shake it up tonight..

Here it goes

“Once it reaches fermentation temperature, hold the temperature steady until at least the last one-third to one-fourth of fermentation. At that time raise the temperature several degrees or more (4 to 10° F/2 to 5° C) over the course of a day or two.”

Excerpt From: White, Chris. “Yeast.” Brewers Association, 2010. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Back