how much flavoring to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
I have a 4 oz bottle of flavoring for my wheat beer. When should I add it and how much to a 5 gal batch. It says the whole bottle, but I don't know if it will overpower the beer or not?

I tried my own boysenberry wheat beer for SWMBO. I only put in 2 oz, now im waiting for it to condition

Jamil has a pod cast about fruit beers over at http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com. The take home messages are: 1) start with a great beer recipe and 2) don't over power your beer with fruit flavor. He recommends taking out a measured small amount of beer, add drops of flavouring extract until you think it is the appropriate level and then calculate up how much to add to your full batch. Wait you aren't done. Then add maybe 3/4 that amount and retaste and adjust if needed.

I would just add to the bottling bucket and taste until it gets to the flavor you want. I added 4oz apricot to my magic hat #7 and it was way too much.

DO NOT PUT THE WHOLE THING IN!!!

1/4-maybe 1/2 is all you will need. this stuff is potent

put in about 1 oz in the secondary and if thats not enough add more later

Back