Taste not so good at bottling time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
First, is bottling time an appropriate time to take a taste?

I had California Lager using California Lager Yeast. I didn't find out until 4 weeks of fermentation and 6 weeks that California Lager Yeast is designed to work at ale temps. Oh, well. I was told, however, that it didn't matter; I didn't screw things up by treating it like a real lager.

I bottled it on Monday and I had about a 1/3 of a bottle at the very end. I tasted it right then and there and it was slightly off; something not lager tasting about it. It's palatable - once carbonated could knock back a bottle or two with the current taste - but there is something slightly caramel-tasting in there (maybe even burnt-caramel-tasting). The best way I can describe it is this: the beer tasted like the DME/water priming solution smelled. The same taste/hit to the nose I got simply from smelling the DME/water priming solution was the same I got from tasting the beer (or vice-versa).

Any thoughts? Is this one of those "it'll get better with carbonation and time in the bottle" sorts of things or can someone tell by my description of the taste if something more serious went wrong?

Cheers,
JWiC

You're beers not done....especially not carbed. Corbonation alone goes a long way to lifting the flavors.

So relax, don't worry.... and read this.

Singljohn hit the nail on the head...The only problem is that you aren't seeing the beer through it's complete process BEFORE calling what is probably just green beer, an off flavor.

It sounds like you are tasting it in the fermenter? If that is the case, do nothing. Because nothing is wrong.

It really is hard to judge a beer until it's been about 6 weeks in the bottle. Just because you taste (or smell) something in primary or secondary DOESN'T mean it will be there when the beer is fully conditioned (that's also the case with kegging too.)

The thing to remember though is that if you are smelling or tasting this during fermentation not to worry. During fermentation all manner of stinky stuff is given off (ask lager brewers about rotten egg/sulphur smells, or Apfelwein makers about "rhino farts,") like we often say, fermentation is often ugly AND stinky and PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It's really only down the line, AFTER the beer has been fermented (and often after it has bottle conditioned even,) that you concern yourself with any flavor issues if they are still there.

I think too many new brewers focus to much on this stuff too early in the beer's journey. And they panic unnecessarily.

A lot of the stuff you smell/taste initially more than likely ends up disappearing either during a long primary/primary & secondary combo, Diacetyl rests and even during bottle conditioning.

If I find a flavor/smell, I usually wait til it's been in the bottle 6 weeks before I try to "diagnose" what went wrong, that way I am sure the beer has passed any window of greenness.

Lagering is a prime example of this. Lager yeast are prone to the production of a lot of byproducts, the most familiar one is sulphur compounds (rhino farts) but in the dark cold of the lagering process, which is at the minimum of a month (I think many homebrewers don't lager long enough) the yeast slowly consumes all those compounds which results in extremely clean tasting beers if done skillfully.

Ales have their own version of this, but it's all the same. Time is your friend.

If you are sampling your beer before you have passed a 'window of greeness" which my experience is about 3-6 weeks in the bottle, then you are more than likely just experiencing an "off flavor" due to the presence of those byproducts (that's what we mean when we say the beer is "green" it's still young and unconditioned.) but once the process is done, over 90% of the time the flavors/smells are gone.

Of the remaining 10%, half of those may still be salvageable through the long time storage that I mention in the Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer:

And the remaining 50% of the last 10% are where these tables and lists come into play. To understand what you did wrong, so you can avoid it in the future.

Long story short....I betcha that smell/flavor will be long gone when the beer is carbed and conditioned.

In other words, relax, your beer will be just fine, like 99.5%.

You can find more info on that in here;

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Just remember it will not be the same beer it is now, and you shouldn't stress what you are tasting right now.

Our beer is more resilient then most new brewers realize, and time can be a big healer. Just read the stories in this thread of mine, and see how many times a beer that someone thought was bad, turned out to be fine weeks later.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Hope this helps.

:mug:

more info would help get better responses (like recipe OG and FG). but the beer does change pretty drastically after carbonation. (i was pretty surprised the first time i brewed) and conditioning time doesn't hurt either. and yes bottling is a perfectly acceptable time to taste the beer. just know that its not the final product yet. actually i taste my beer alot during the process, just make sure your not tasting out of anything that your going to put back in your beer.

I'm curious if the sample you drank had priming sugar (DME) in it? It sounds like you might just be tasting the sweetness from that. Obviously, that will go away with carbonation.:D

I am sure lots of people have different thoughts about tasting your beer during bottling. My feeling is that at that time you should get a basic profile of your beer. I have tasted a beer that seemed off and later felt it was ok.... but i cant remember tasting a beer that tasted great that was not great..
say it another way... you should like your beer at bottling time. I love a good IPA and could just draw off one during bottling time. Its warm and not carbed but that's ok with me.

for the record i am sitting in Beijing china drinking a Carlsburg in a French run pub. Foods good but the beer is just poor cant wait to get home and get a real beer.

Back