Keezer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
I'm looking at building a Keezer using this freezer...

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I think it's big enough for three cornys, C02 tank, regulators, etc. My question is, where is the best place to put faucets on a freezer like this? e.g. build a collar, or mount right through on the front, or is it possible to put a tower on the lid? If it's possible, are there good reasons not to? TIA!

---VikeMan

you shouldn't put the taps through the front of a chest freezer because that's where all the coolant lines are, and if you hit one the freezer's toast. there are tons of keezer build threads...check them out for ideas. I went with a collar on mine and I love it.

Thanks! Any drawback to a tower in the lid? I'm thinking maybe stress on the output hoses when the lid is lifted?

only real drawbacks to a tower are that you will have to keep the keezer or at least be able to move the keezer away from the wall to be able to lift the lid without the tower hitting the wall. you also need to find a way to circulate cold air into the tower (most people use PC fans) to keep the beer lines cold and prevent excess foaming.

I went the tower route on a freezer very similar to the one you are looking at buying. What I did was take the plastic liner off the inside of the lid, took a 2x8 and put it in the dead center of the insulation and traced it with a pencil, I then cut that block of insulation out and replaced it with the 2x8, I then found the center on the top of the freezer and drilled my hole with a 3 inch (i think it was 3in. It was just smaller than the tower hole) hole saw through the top of the freezer AND the 2x8, then I drilled the tower into the 2x8 with the wood screws that are provided with most towers, then you replace the plastic liner on the inside to how it was originally attached to the freezer, make sure it seals tight when closed and you are pretty much in business. I mean, you can spray that foam insulation in that small gap between the liner and 2x8 if you want but I didn't and have not had ANY issues to date. You will also need to invest in a temperature controller, and I also went the PC fan route with a plastic tube running to the tower as well. My kegerator is in the garage and I live in a place that gets 100+ in the summer - so the tower needs to be cooled. Any how, let me know if you have any questions as I am sure that was not very clear to follow.

I think I have that size and I just built a 2x8 collar and I will be able to get 3 cornies and the 5lb Co2 with a collar and 4 cornies with the gas outside.

Back