Carboy w/ Spigot vs Reg Carboy+Auto-Siphon??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyp123

Reaction score
I'm debating on whether to get a carboy with a spigot or just a regular carboy and use an auto siphon to get it into the bottling bucket (the carboy is going to be used as a secondary)... any input on this would be awsome. Thanks.
-Mike

I didn't know they had carboys with spigots. Are you planning on bottling from the carboy or are you going to rack into a bottling bucket for bottling? If your thinking of using the spigot to transfer to the bottling bucket, I think the auto-siphon is the better option. I think you can get a better rack (leave more sediment behind) from a siphon then from a spigot. Down sides to spigot: they need to be cleaned threads and all, they can leak. Down sides to auto-siphon: people tend to break them, have problems with them. Mine works great, haven't had any problems. I'm not sure why other people have reported difficulties.
If it were me I'd probably go with the auto siphon option unless you want to bottle right from the carboy, then I'd go with the spigot.

The Betterbottle with spigot is nice I guess....But I don't feel that it's worth the money...That's almost double the price of the better bottle itself.

My vote is autosiphon and regular betterbottle.

I'd rather spend the extra money on grain and hops.

Here's my 2 cents.... bottling bucket with spigot for bottling. Auto-siphon for racking from secondary/primary into the bottling bucket. I wouldn't waste money on the spigot for the carboy. You could probably get a bottling bucket with spigot for around $20-$25, and an auto-siphon for around $10. Much better deal than the amount you'd have to pay for a carboy (I'm assuming better bottle) with spigot. But again, just my 2 cents worth...

Latest posts

Back