So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4th of July weekend = my last chance to get my beer for my annual Oktoberfest party done with adequate time to lay them down and lager, so this weekend I will be brewing:

- a Munich Helles

- a Kloster Dunkel (modeled after Kloster Kreuzberg's house bier)

- a Bamberg-style Rauchbier, half of which will get oaked.

- a Bavarian Pils

My Oktoberfest has already been brewed and is lagering, so that's taken care of.

Yes, my annual Oktoberfest party is quite an event.

[emoji50] Sounds like a busy weekend!

I gots da brewin' jones again, but my post-fermentation pipeline is backed up, no cold storage space left. I'm thinking a 10 gallon batch of pilsener can lager for 3-4 weeks in the ferm fridge while a couple of keg slots open up.

I do have some wy2206 yeast in the fridge I'll have to start building up...a lot...and half a bag of Briess pilsener malt...and some Saaz, Tettnanger, Hallertau...

Looks like a plan...

Cheers!

my thoughts exactly, no space, going for a lager which will hopefully take at least four weeks. :)

I am kind of undecided on what I want to do. I am in the experimenting mode right now. I have two 1 gallon Belgian Ales with WLP Brett yeast fermenting away, they are still going at it after a month and I am unsure how long I want to keep them going for. I want to whip out some more 1 gallon batches so I can try a few things. I haven't learned to later yet, but it's getting late to do a large batch later. I am thinking I want to try my hand at a Belgian Quadruple. 4 fermenting cycles means if I do it soon, it would be ready for the fall.

I am just about to start my boil for a partial mash attempt at a belgian IPA and begin planning a red ale (possibly IPA) for Husker football season! :D :tank:

I'm brewing a pretty low abv Session IPA (3,7 abv) with cololombus, Simcoe and Hallertau blanc.

Malt bill is 2 row, Vienna, caramunich and pale wheat.

Yeast is Wlp090 San Diego Super.

Five minutes from draining my first runnings. Making a lager with wlp810 and agave nectar. I rarely do lagers so I am a little nervous but in a good way!

Got a 4:15AM start this morning to beat the heat! Have about 20 minutes left on the mash for a low ABV Pale Ale... OG of 1.040... Citra/Centennial/ Cascade with all the bitterness coming from 20/10 and 5 minute hop additions. Should round out at 33 IBUs at 4% ABV

Cheers! Don

Viking ale. Some crystal malt, LME, barley flakes and some juniper corns. Cooper@45. Gonna be dark&bitter, like my soul :p

I brewed a Munich Helles and almost had a perfect brew day but my pH meter died. Oh well, I'm sure it will still come out good!

Brewed on Saturday.... it's now been almost 72 hours and there's no sign of activity.

Going to drain pour it tonight if it doesn't start.

Did 10g of Dogfish 60min. Trying to finish the glycol chiller, hope it turns out. Lots of hot 90+ F days, but the garage is still rockin about 71 deg... 69 in the ferm chamber.. Few more days and i should be able to cobble together the rest of the chiller at least in a temporary fashion.

Where'd you get the chiller unit at? We have 1000 of them at work, wonder if they'd notice one missing...

Its just a 5k btu window shaker ac unit.... pretty standard. Hardest part is figuring out the best way to plumb it all and the pumps / controlls.. As per the norm, i try to over engineer everything and it takes time lol...

Its just a 5k btu window shaker ac unit.... pretty standard. Hardest part is figuring out the best way to plumb it all and the pumps / controlls.. As per the norm, i try to over engineer everything and it takes time lol...

If you care to do so, love to see a pic. I don't mind brewing in Central Texas heat, but using a plate chiller when the water temp is 88F hinders progress. I've daydreamed about using a chiller unit.

Completed RIS..

Not brewing, but bottling tomorrow. 4 liter Viking Ale and about 14 liter IPA.

19942981_1692231924152827_2628086528042229761_o.jpg

Just finished up my first lager.
Pre-Prohibition style, got the recipe from a good buddy.
He calls it The Big Lubelski.
10 lbs 6 row
3 lbs flaked corn
.5 lbs cara-pils
1oz cluster at 60
1oz Lubelski at 10
1oz Lubelski at 5

Saflager-189

I'm cooking 2.5 pounds of macaroni right now; the start of a wit bier. (I should be grinding the malt right now instead of posting on the Internet) This will also be the first time using my new Wilser bag, and my first time this year brewing outside, and my first time brewing with all tapwater instead of RO water or a mix. This is a 4 gallon recipe:

2.5 lb - American Pale 2-Row (33.3%)
2.5 lb - American Wheat (33.3%)
2.5 lb - Dried macaroni (33.3%)

1 oz - Willamette, AA: 5, Boil for 45 min, IBU: 23.67

10 ml - Lactic acid, 88%, Use: Mash
0.25 tsp - Table salt, Use: Boil

15 g - Coriander, 5 min
1 each - Tangerine peel, minced, 5 min

Infusion mash, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 6.5 gal
Yeast: WY-3333 German Wheat

Just finished up my first lager.
Pre-Prohibition style, got the recipe from a good buddy.
He calls it The Big Lubelski.
10 lbs 6 row
3 lbs flaked corn
.5 lbs cara-pils
1oz cluster at 60
1oz Lubelski at 10
1oz Lubelski at 5

Saflager-187

Love Lubelski hops. I might brew something like this up next.

I brewed up a batch of Citra/Mosaic IPA this morning. Things went so smoothly, I had such a great time, and I didn't really have anything else I wanted to get done today so I decided to throw on another batch (a Sorachi Ace-hopped saison)

Doing a DIPA.

Built water last night. Checked out at 6.0Ph this morning. Crushed grains - 2-row, Vienna, red wheat, cara red. Flaked oats sitting to side waiting to join the others.

Running this batch with X331 as bitter, late with additional whirlpool and dry hop additions. Remaining hops are Amarillo, Citra, and Idaho 7.

Mash water heating right now.

Sipping on a cup of coffee from a local roaster - a new one for me - Rawanda organic.....

Brewed 10 gallons of IPA that I split between 2 yeasts and added some dark grains in hoping to get a black IPA in half. I'll dry hop with 2 different hops also.

Apples are cheap this week so I decided to brew up my Apple Ale. Just mashed it in 10 minutes ago.

After the boil I'll go for a run and order some supplies - more pale malt, some more hops and other goodies.

OK - ever have that brew that you just KNEW was going to be a major success?

Numbers hit very well.

Mash pH hit 5.3

Mash temp target 150. Hit 150.2

Expected 414 GU, got 396 GU (actual OG 1.069)

Vol target, 5.75. got 5.75.

Went in the basement this morning after yesterday's brew day and could still smell the hops lingering. I was almost late for work as I sat down there and breathed everything in

Fermentation bubbling away and smells amazing. Only temp control is a small room in the basement with window AC unit, but ambient is 61.5°F, so ferm temp should be within range anyway unless it really starts to run hard... anyway, we will see.

Back