Partial/Mini-Mash Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiser423

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good partial mash hefeweizen. I may just but an AHS kit, but since that's the only thing that I would be buying, shipping would make up a good chunk of the overall bill.

So, I'm hoping to pick up all the necessary parts from my LHBS. Anyone have a link to a tried and true recipe? I've done a couple of searches, but its always hard to tell which ones turned out really well. I might consult some recipe books when I get home, but I thought that it might be good to check here also.

Just looking for a standard hefe -- nothing too crazy since this will be my first mini-mash.

I did this one last month and it turned out fantastic, 2 weeks in the fermenter then straight to bottle. It's my partial mash version of Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen. If you rather have an American style hefe (no banana esters), just use WLP320 instead of 300 and ferment it a little cooler if you can.

hopville . "Bavarian Hefeweizen" Weizen/Weissbier Recipe

It's based on my system, mashing about 4.5 lbs of grain and a 3.5 gallon boil pot. I only boil the mash/sparge runnings and add all the extract late to keep the color light. If you need help adapting the water amounts or any other adjustments I can help you.

Erik

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

My LHBS is here: Victor's Grape Arbor

I can replace the extract syrup with dry extract, the "Wheat Malt (60% wheat, 40% Barley) " I think, and he has a great western 2 row that I can use and a wheat malt. What type of conversion is there for DME versus LME? I could probably do a search around here and figure it out...

I take it that the 2lb 8oz of wheat malt is grain, correct?

He has the right hop pellets and he has a pretty good selection of wheat yeasts. Might use the 3068 Weihenstephan yeast.

I'm going to do a full boil, so I'll need to adjust the hop schedule some. It's about 4lb of grain in the mash, and I should be able to use that to figure that out the mash and sparge water volumes. Should be fun!!

My ferment temps should be a little lower...that would just mean less banana esters, etc, correct? Actually, it if keeps warming up around here that might be about the right temp.

Reduce the extract amount by 20% if using dry. The LME I used was 60% wheat, 40% barley.

The wheat malt is grain, yes and must be crushed just like the barley.

I use whole hops and I don't know how pellets convert, but shoot for 8-9 IBUs. If you do a full boil and add some of the extract at the beginning, you should have a similar gravity to what I'm boiling but check it out. I wouldn't increase the mash water by much, but you can certainly sparge with more (up to about 2X the mash volume or so) and you should get a little better efficiency for it.

Lower temps with the 3068/WLP300 should reduce banana esters, but will increase the clove esters. I fermented at about 66-68 and got very little clove and a decent amount of banana. I think it matches the bavarian styles I've tried quite well.

Good luck with the brew!

Back