Head Retention Additives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman3278

Reaction score
As the title states, any opinions or recomendations? There have been some recipes that continusly dissapoint in head retention.

Bottoms Up!

I know that many brewers will use 1/2 pound of carapils, or some wheat (about a pound) in their brews to aid in head retention. I often use some kind of crystal, though, and haven't added either. Flaked barley will also aid in head retention.

What kinds of recipes have you used so far, and what were the results?

In addition, mashing higher, avoiding protein rests, increasing the hop schedule, and using heading agents (chemical additives designed specifically to increase head retention) will all help.

Nothing will kill head faster than:
Oily adjuncts
Dirty/poorly rinsed glassware
Answering affirmatively to the question, "Does this make my ass look fat?"

To add one more, I found a significant increase in head retention once I got blow-offs under control. They tend to eject a lot of the proteins and hop compounds that are responsible for head retention in the finished beer.

Foam control drops did the trick for me (that stuff is pure homebrew magic!). But fermenting in a large bucket with lots of headspace would do the trick, too.

Things like Carapils, crystal malt, and even hops all aid in head formation/retention. Also, you could prime with Muntons Kreamyx, which has some form of heading agent in it.

I use about 1/2 lb of carapils in most all batches. I am starting to see that it takes a while of bottle conditioning to develop foamyness. I just popped a couple of xmas ales tonight and these are the first 2 with a head on them after about 6 weeks in the bottle. I have been drinking it for about 3 weeks and it only now pours with a head on it.

I like to use torrifed wheat in my mash. I make 2.5 gal batches with 1/2 lb, but if you do 5 gal batches, 1lbs would work.

Are you asking about Heading Powder? I've seen it at the lhbs but never touched the stuff, curious to see if it works but I don't like putting anything that isn't a raw ingredient in my beers

Do you use steeping grains? I use 1/2 to 1 lb of crushed crystal for almost every batch. In addition to adding color and aroma, they also add in proteins that aid in head retention.

use some flaked barley
this is an ESP that I added about 4 0z to a 5 gallon batch

ESB.jpg

Back