Blood Orange Hefe from Extreme Brewing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fadeux

Reaction score
Anyone tried the recipe from the book "Extreme Brewing" Blood Orange Hefeweizen? It sounds like it would be really good, but the only place I can find blood oranges right now is from the other side of the country, and its going to cost me close to 50 bucks to get a dozen of them where I live. So I would like to know if anyone has tried this recipe, and how it turned out. Thanks in advance!

I've made it. It's pretty solid. I don't think the blood oranges are all that necessary, especially if it's that expensive. Just regular orange zest should work fine. Also, I don't know if you already have a good brewing background but extreme brewing leaves some really important details out in a book that's not really aimed at experienced brewers. I think the most egregious is that he completely ignores yeast starters. I would recommend doing a 1.5 or 2L starter for this brew to tone down the ester formation a little bit. And if you decide to do any of the other high gravity brews in the book, check out Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator to make sure you've got a big enough starter and enough yeast to do the job properly.

Back