A Few Keggin' Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
First off, what would be the upfront cost on kegging? I would probably be interested in holding maybe 2-3 kegs at a time full of beer.

Next question is: Do I need a dedicated refridge for this to take place? I currently have a brand new garage fridge that I can't turn into a kegarator as my wife would kill me......:O So could use a little advice here on how kegging actually works. Thanks

Well since I am just putting the finishing touches on a keg fridge I might be able to give you some idea.

Yes you need a dedicated fridge of some type. Chest freezers work good also. Look around in the want ads you migt find one cheap.

I did a 2 tap set up on mine, got the fridge for free. Since it sounds like you can't be drilling holes in the fridge in the garage you'll need to go with picinic taps which are cheap. The most expensive item will be the CO2 tank and regulator. You can expect to pay around $80 for a 5lb tank and another $50 for a single guage regulator.

Altogether I spent around $125 for mine, but I got the tank, regulator and fridge for free.

Thanks for the advice 2nd Street. One more question if you don't mind? Is kegging much easier or better then bottling? I mean, there is a lot to clean and maintain on a keg isn't there? And if I go to say someones house for a party, it's hard to carry a 50lb keg and CO2 tank with me......:D

It's tons easier! Instead of cleaning, filling and capping 55 bottles, you just do one big one. There's really not much maintenance. You've got to recondition it when you get it, or buy it that way. then you can either carb the same way you would bottles or just use the gas to carb. No problem!

Cool.....Then I might have to start kegging real soon......So pretty much you can have drinkable beer in about 3-4 weeks instead of the 6-8 weeks it is taking right now?

GABrewboy said:
Cool.....Then I might have to start kegging real soon......So pretty much you can have drinkable beer in about 3-4 weeks instead of the 6-8 weeks it is taking right now?
Pretty much, though it will still benefit from aging. but if you have something in the secondary, you could go home tonight and be drinking it before you go to bed tonight.

Back