Alternative homebrew contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbrew

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm new to this forum but a veteran homebrewer (14 years). I've won several medals in BJCP-sanctioned contests, and now I'm ready to move on. I plan to hold an "alternative" homebrew contest with 7 beer categories that I devised as opposed to the 80 sub-styles in the BJCP. All the information is at:

http://www.geocities.com/benbrews/bs.html

Let me know what you think. Is this a good idea? Am I "insulting" the BJCP by creating my own style categories? All feedback, whether positive or negative, will be appreciated. You can post here, or if you prefer private e-mail, the page at the link above has my e-mail address.

Cheers!

Ha ha! If I didn't already have 50 cases of my own homebrew I'd welcome the new beer. I actually hope I don't get too many entries because I will have to judge them all myself!

Our local club had a "club only" competition and collapsed the categories down...given the expected lower entry count:

For those that wanted to know how the BJCP Styles would be broken down into the 5 main categories of the St. Louis Microfest Homebrew Competition, here is a list. As always, the organizers reserve the right to make changes without notice. Please note the styles designated with an asterisk. These styles walk the line between light and dark, and could be in either. For these categories, if the brewer would like his or her beer to be considered either "Light" or "Dark", they should make a note on the entry form. The organizers will make every effort to make it happen. Also, please read the note about Category 23 - Specialty Beer entries at the bottom.

Light Ales
8A. Standard/Ordinary Bitter
8B. Special/Best/Premium Bitter
8C. Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
10A. American Pale Ale
10B. American Amber Ale*
14A. English IPA
14B. American IPA
14C. Imperial IPA
15D. Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)
16B. Belgian Pale Ale
16C. Saison
16D. Bière de Garde
16E. Belgian Specialty Ale*
17B. Flanders Red Ale
18A. Belgian Blond Ale
18C. Belgian Tripel
18D. Belgian Golden Strong Ale
19A. Old Ale*
21A. Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer*

Dark Ales
9A. Scottish Light 60/-*
9B. Scottish Heavy 70/-*
9C. Scottish Export 80/-*
9D. Irish Red Ale*
9E. Strong Scotch Ale
10C. American Brown Ale
11A. Mild*
11B. Southern English Brown
11C. Northern English Brown Ale
12A. Brown Porter
12B. Robust Porter
12C. Baltic Porter
13A. Dry Stout
13B. Sweet Stout
13C. Oatmeal Stout
13D. Foreign Extra Stout
13E. American Stout
13F. Russian Imperial Stout
15B. Dunkelweizen
15C. Weizenbock*
17C. Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin
18B. Belgian Dubbel
18E. Belgian Dark Strong Ale
19B. English Barleywine*
19C. American Barleywine*
21B. Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer*

Light Lagers
1D. Munich Helles
1E. Dortmunder Export
2B. Bohemian Pilsener
3B. Oktoberfest/Märzen
5A. Maibock/Helles Bock
7B. California Common Beer
22A. Classic Rauchbier*
22B. Other Smoked Beer*
22C. Wood-Aged Beer*

Dark Lagers
3A. Vienna Lager*
4A. Dark American Lager
4B. Munich Dunkel
4C. Schwarzbier (Black Beer)
5B. Traditional Bock
5C. Doppelbock
5D. Eisbock
7A. Northern German Altbier
7C. Düsseldorf Altbier

Microfest Summer Brew
6A. Cream Ale
6B. Blonde Ale
6C. Kölsch
6D. American Wheat or Rye Beer
15A. Weizen/Weissbier
16A. Witbier
17A. Berliner Weisse
17D. Straight (Unblended) Lambic
17E. Gueuze
17F. Fruit Lambic
1A. Lite American Lager
1B. Standard American Lager
1C. Premium American Lager
2A. German Pilsner (Pils)
2C. Classic American Pilsner

* These styles could be listed in either the “Light” or “Dark” category. If the brewer prefers their entry to be categorized in one over the other, they should make a comment on the entry form.

Entries in Category 23 – Specialty Beer should indicate on the entry form which classic style was used for the base beer, or what style the beer most closely emulates.

If I'm going to give up a few bottles of brew, dang straight it will judged by BJCP certifieds. It's not really an insult to BJCP, but perhaps to my intelligence if you think I'm sending you beer. ;-)

Back