Black roasted barley Vs roasted barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skybrew

Reaction score
Just a quick question from a AG noob.

The American Red Ale recipe calls for 2 oz of roasted barley. All I can find on the AHS website is Black roasted barley.

Are they one and the same? Or is that small of an amount ok to use black roasted in place of just roasted?

Here is the grain bill for the recipe:
9 lbs. American 2-Row Malt
2 lbs. Crystal/Caramel Malt 40L
2 oz. Roasted Barley

Thanks

Since I would be, frankly, astonished if AHS didn't carry roasted barley, I'm pretty sure black roasted barley is the same thing.

I poked around a little on the internet and didn't see anything to indicate otherwise, but you can always just call AHS.

Best guess is black roasted barley may have a higher lovibond rating then regular old roasted barley. Who is the Maltser for the product you found?

I used black roasted barley in a stout calling for roasted barley. It worked out fine but being my first stout I can't comment on whether the recipe would have been smoother without it. I had to age it for a few months for it to get really good, but that seems to be true of all my stouts so far.

Since this is a Red I would not substitute. Black Roasted Barley would make it way too dark. Maybe some Special B (220L)?

If it's just for color, I would use the black roasted barley at a smaller percentage. You will get a similar flavor, and the desired color. Special B has a very different color than roasted barley.

For me, roasted barley is not just for colour, it adds a nice kick ... flavour that would make Bridgett Nelson blush. If your cut down on the Barley, balance it out with something else, even Crystal 120 could do the colour, but change the end taste.
Could I recommend some 1gal mini mashes to ID what you like, and hate?

According to BYO;

Roasted Barley 300° Sweet, grainy, coffee flavor and a red to deep brown color. For porters and stouts.

Black Barley 525° Imparts dryness. Unmalted; use in porters and dry stouts.

As I suspected Black roasted barley has a higher lovibond rating then regular old roasted barley.
I checked Briess's website. Their Roasted barley is 300 L while their black roasted barley 500L.
Looks like the Black roasted barley is pretty intense.

The "Black Roasted Barley" is the normal stuff. Every brand of Roasted Barley is around 500L. Breiss makes a light Roasted Barley that is around 300L. I have never seen a recipe that calls for it. The reason we call it Black Roasted Barley is because we used to carry both light and dark and we wanted to make it clear which was which. There was simply no demand for the light stuff so we no longer carry it.

Forrest

The "Black Roasted Barley" is the normal stuff. Every brand of Roasted Barley is around 500L. Breiss makes a light Roasted Barley that is around 300L. I have never seen a recipe that calls for it. The reason we call it Black Roasted Barley is because we used to carry both light and dark and we wanted to make it clear which was which. There was simply no demand for the light stuff so we no longer carry it.
So this is specific to your store. Up until yesterday, I had only ever heard roasted barley referred to as simply roasted barley, not light, or black. If you examine the link I provided even Briess refers to their's as Roasted barley, and black roasted barely. They even differeniate the lovibond rating between the two.

Personally I have never seen a grist composition requiring black roasted barley. Everything I have ever seen in recipe designs has required simply "roasted barley".
Thanks for clarifying the product that you offer. :)

So this is specific to your store. Up until yesterday, I had only ever heard roasted barley referred to as simply roasted barley, not light, or black. If you examine the link I provided even Briess refers to their's as Roasted barley, and black roasted barely. They even differeniate the lovibond rating between the two.

Personally I have never seen a grist composition requiring black roasted barley. Everything I have ever seen in recipe designs has required simply "roasted barley".

What most (L)HBS seem to sell as "simply roasted barley" is the 500L stuff. Very few offer the "light" version.

"Black Roasted Barley" and "Roasted Barley" are the same. If you have a recipe that calls for Roasted Barley they mean the 500L stuff not the 300L stuff. I added the word black for clarification for my employees and customers when we carried both kinds.

The 300L Roasted Barley is a step child no one wants. All of the manufacturers of grain make a 500L Roased Barley. Breiss makes an additional 300L Roasted Barley as well as the normal 500L Roasted Barley. Just ignore the 300L stuff and you will be fine.

Forrest

Forrest

Thank you Forrest! I am placing an order on Saturday for the sale and I wanted to make sure what I buy is correct!

Thanks Forrest! I had this same question a while back and no one knew for sure. I perused some other homebrew shop websites and only saw the 500L stuff.

"Black Roasted Barley" and "Roasted Barley" are the same. If you have a recipe that calls for Roasted Barley they mean the 500L stuff not the 300L stuff. I added the word black for clarification for my employees and customers when we carried both kinds.

The 300L Roasted Barley is a step child no one wants. All of the manufacturers of grain make a 500L Roased Barley. Breiss makes an additional 300L Roasted Barley as well as the normal 500L Roasted Barley. Just ignore the 300L stuff and you will be fine.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest - I've been searching for this as of late as I ordered some grains from you guys for a dry stout and I wasn't sure if the roasted barley I had ordered was correct.

Latest posts

Back